Drz possible stator problem

So I have read some other posts about similar problems but still kinda confused. At the end of last summer begging of fall I was riding home and I lost power to my instrument panel and the my lights and the power to my bike. I figured the battery was just dead so I charged it up. It did this once more so I did some reasearch and decided it was the regulator/rectifier . I changed that out but the battery was toast and riding season was over so it sat until a few weeks ago. I got a new battery built and charged it and the bike fired right up. The bike sat for a week or so until it got nice and it started and ran no problem. I put it away for like a week and it ran great. It sat again for a week or more than wouldn't start the battery was dead. I charged it and rode it fine the next day but started noticing the blinders don't work until you have been riding for a min. I tested the battery with key on its above 12 but when   It is idling it stays about the same and reved up I almost got 13 but not quite. I'm thinking the stator is out but  after a few rides with a bad stator wouldn't the battery die? I last charged the battery Monday night and I have rode it every day and the battery hasn't died. So I'm wondering if it's not the stator. I tried following the directions from one of the sticky topics but I got confused when it came to checking the stator.(I'm have no experience with multimeters and electrical lingo). Thanks 

If when checking battery voltage and the voltage will not get above at least 13.5 volts, you have a charging system problem.  Either the stator is not making the power or the power is not getting to the battery.  Both stator problems and wiring problems are common.  Yes if you ride everyday and the battery sees 13 to 13.5 volts it will charge just not very much.  An easy check is to unplug the RR from the stator. Use an ohm meter on the stator wires. Check any of the 3 yellow wires to a ground point on the motor.  If you get an ohm reading, the stator is bad.  You want to see a reading of infinity (no connection).  If that checks out, take a look at the connection out of the RR where it plugs into the wire harness. Any signs of heating, melting, corrosion that connection is causing problems.  Next inspect the fuse and fuse holder for the same conditions.  Then trace the fuse wire to the battery.  You will find 1 plug in connection. Look for the same problems.

• Like 1

When you say "ground point on the motor" what do you mean? I put my multi meter on the ohm setting and stuck the positive test wire to one one the stator wires and stuck the negative test wire to a few different bolts/screws on the motor and I was getting a reading no infinity sign .

Yes that is what I mean by testing to ground.  Battery negative is connected to the frame which is connected to the motor which is generally called ground or earth. In house wiring ground really is earth.  On your motorcycle it is just another name for battery negative but is always called ground.  What reading did you get in ohms?  What ohms scale were you on?  Do you get a reading when on the 200 scale?  Digital meter?  Auto-ranging (the meter selects the scale)?

• Like 1

So it's a digital meter it was on the auto ranging  the numbers where kinda bouncing around went up to about 6.0 and bounced to 14 at one point  one reading was around 18.00-20.00 

Edited by Sohumsquirrel

see the faq section on how to check the stator and also the free power mod. 

It's possibly the plug that goes from the regulator rectifier to the wiring harness. You need to bypass it so the charge goes directly to the battery.

when I changed the regulator the plugs where stuck together when I pulled them apart so I soldered the wires together I followed the directions the best I could not having experience with electrical.

Your ohm meter readings verify the stator is bad.  It is a 3 phase stator, you have lost 1 phase.  You need a new stator.