Supermoto wheels on Husqvarna FE 450

Hi!

So I just bought a new 2015 FE 450 as my first off-road / dual sport bike which I'll be using 60% of the time off road. I'm looking at getting a rather cheap spare set of supermoto wheels for the road.

I'm a novice at this and after doing online research I understand that going with 17" 3.5 and 4.25 will have an impact on the speedo (says here how's to resolve this) and will impact efficiency of front shocks. Still, I think it'll be for a smoother and safer ride on the pavement...

I can't find anyone online who's done this to this very bike and am unsure about which rims/hubs to get. So before I spend the money (perhaps here), I want to make sure I'm buying the right wheels and hubs.

Does anyone know if a Husky FE350/FS501 wheel set will work for the FE450? Are the hubs similar across the newer Husqvarna range?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update, I got the rubber fitted on the wheels today, looks noiche :cool:

Went to swap the rear wheel this afternoon only to find out I had forgotten about chain length... I've been thinking about rim and tire choices for a bit too long I think :lame:

I therefore haven't had a chance to ride the 17" set yet. Gearing for dirt currently is 13:52 and street is 13:45 (will chuck back the stock 14 on front asap). 

I'm torn between getting a 2nd chain, using a second master link with a small bit of chain on the stock chain (same chain for both setups), or buying new sets of sprocket

After the brand new bike and wheels, it's hard to have to spend more...

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4283.jpg

• Like 1

You're right Madchild, after all these bike expenses though, I chose to go with the second master link option. Not ideal, but didn't cost me $0.01 and I could ride the sumo wheels today and had a real blast! The Bridgestone S21 tires seem to be real good!

For anyone considering similar setup, note that I had to trim the front guards to fit the 120/70-17.

IMG_4299.jpg

• 10 months later...
36 minutes ago, Corrie van der Walt said:

What rims did you use and where did you get them from. Also dis it come with the brake rotors and sprocket. What is the estimimate cost kn your conversion. 

Exactly these ones. Bought brake rotors and rear sprocket from the same website. Overall cost was somewhere around NZ$1,800 incl. tires and fitting IIRC.

What a waste tbh, a year later and the SM tires still have vent spews on them (tire hair)... I thought I'd barely go off road but turns out I really got into hard enduro/MX, and that's not the best bike for it either!

Good luck

Edited by AlexNZ

37 minutes ago, AlexNZ said:

Exactly these ones. Bought brake rotors and rear sprocket from the same website. Overall cost was somewhere around NZ$1,800 incl. tires and fitting IIRC.

What a waste tbh, a year later and the SM tires still have vent spews on them (tire hair)... I thought I'd barely go off road but turns out I really got into hard enduro/MX, and that's not the best bike for it either!

Good luck

O I see you also from NZ. Are you interested in selling the rims maybe. 

24 minutes ago, Corrie van der Walt said:

Haha thought maybe you had one in mind. Where in NZ are you based. 

So I just went through my budgeting app and found all rims related costs (and some invoices). All up it cost me $1,934.91, excluding all time researching, negotiating, picking up parts, putting them together, etc. I also had bought the best heavy duty tubes I could find. Oh and the most important part, rim stickers!

I ran them in as specified by manufacturer, with spoke tension as required.

I could throw in these as well, which I bought from ktm-parts, if you like:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Store_Code=K&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SM-KTMKICK-4

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Store_Code=K&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=78109945000

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Store_Code=K&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=78110945100

How about $1,800?

IMG_5811.jpg

4 minutes ago, AlexNZ said:

So I just went through my budgeting app and found all rims related costs (and some invoices). All up it cost me $1,934.91, excluding all time researching, negotiating, picking up parts, putting them together, etc. I also had bought the best heavy duty tubes I could find. Oh and the most important part, rim stickers!

I ran them in as specified by manufacturer, with spoke tension as required.

I could throw in these as well, which I bought from ktm-parts, if you like:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Store_Code=K&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SM-KTMKICK-4

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Store_Code=K&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=78109945000

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Store_Code=K&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=78110945100

How about $1,800?

IMG_5811.jpg

Wow that looks sweet. I see you really spent allot of time and effort in this. I will have to pass on this as it is a bit too much for me now. Think I will have to buy piece by piece. Thanks for helping me out on info though. Really appreciate it. And I have to say the bike looks great man. Is that a 2015 model. I have a 2016 and I think the hub shafts and bearings is a different size but I am not sure about this either. 

3 minutes ago, Corrie van der Walt said:

Wow that looks sweet. I see you really spent allot of time and effort in this. I will have to pass on this as it is a bit too much for me now. Think I will have to buy piece by piece. Thanks for helping me out on info though. Really appreciate it. And I have to say the bike looks great man. Is that a 2015 model. I have a 2016 and I think the hub shafts and bearings is a different size but I am not sure about this either. 

All good - happy to help mate. Yes, that's the 2015. I envy you, wish I could've afforded the 2016 model.

Be safe out there (I got a lot of demerits in my first month riding the bike, hence the dedication off-road ha!).

4 minutes ago, AlexNZ said:

All good - happy to help mate. Yes, that's the 2015. I envy you, wish I could've afforded the 2016 model.

Be safe out there (I got a lot of demerits in my first month riding the bike, hence the dedication off-road ha!).

Aw shes a beauty on the dirt and on the road hey. Sorry to hijack this thread now, but where do you guys usually ride. I love enduro but don’t  know anyone or a place to ride as I am from south africa and still getting to know NZ.