which 250 2 stroke would you buy?

I am looking to buy a 250 2 stroke motocross bike for woods riding. Which would you try to get. Must be from 2000-2007. Honda CR, Kawasaki KX, Yamaha YZ, or Suzuki RM out of those 4 which is the better all around bike for woods riding in your opinion? I will do mods as needed such as a flywheel weight, adjusting suspension, ect...

No matter how good each model was back then (already 10+ years old by now)

if you plan to invest in this project and keep it for a long time I'd look into parts availabilty,

meaning only a (2005+ ?)  YZ and ALL of it's OEM parts are is still in current production.

Yes some popular older bike models seem to have plenty of used parts available on Ebay etc.

but personally I like the assurance that if you can't locate one, a brand new OEM part is still easily available thru any dealership/vendor.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Il throw a vote to the yz...just because of aftermarket parts and the wr gearing conversion

i have a kx of that era and love it except for its stupid tall first gear. 

Id certainly be open to an rm and that may be my next step. I keep hearing about the handling and want to try it out:devil:

YZ, it has the most usable power spread. The RM is similar but a little more high strung(snappier and harder hitting). The KX and CR's are hard hitting mid to top racers, not very good for the woods.
The older CR's (Pre 2002) had much better engines and would make a good wood weapon too. The 2000 or 2001 models are the best.

The yz.  Easy access to wide ratio conversions trans,  great aftermarket support.    I have lots of Hondas too,  and they can work.  It is just harder to do.   For me,  i wouldn't consider any of the other Japanese two strokes unless you get that deal you just can't pass up.   

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 7:22 AM, scott7 said:

I am looking to buy a 250 2 stroke motocross bike for woods riding. Which would you try to get. Must be from 2000-2007. Honda CR, Kawasaki KX, Yamaha YZ, or Suzuki RM out of those 4 which is the better all around bike for woods riding in your opinion? I will do mods as needed such as a flywheel weight, adjusting suspension, ect...

"...Buy...motorcross bike for woods riding." Don't buy a MX bike for the woods. You don't rock crawl with a rally car or hammer a nail with a screwdriver... you could but there are better tools for the job. You would be better off buying an enduro bike thats designed specifically to be ridden in the woods/trails. You wouldn't need to do any mods other than bike protection. 

If you're stuck on a MX bike, the only one from that list that I would consider would be the YZ. Flywheel weight, rejet and tune, revalve and spring the suspension, 18" rear wheel, hand guards, skid plate, bigger gas tank, all available bike protection. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

YZ, it has the most usable power spread. The RM is similar but a little more high strung(snappier and harder hitting). The KX and CR's are hard hitting mid to top racers, not very good for the woods.
The older CR's (Pre 2002) had much better engines and would make a good wood weapon too. The 2000 or 2001 models are the best.

I've owned both the 01 and 02 cr250s. Both are mid top motors but the 02 is far more useful motor wise than the 01 at woods riding. The 02+ have incredible handling too. 

Parts availability is good with Honda. Even the old 250R 3 and 4 wheelers still have some parts avaialable for them.

• Like 1

Sounds like two stroke fever. 

Only personal experience I had with a 250 was an 02' CR. Bike was great in the woods. Put out nice power. Even with a partially roached motor I was able to get the hole shot in a hare scramble one time. It needed a flywheel weight to tame the hit, but that was about the only thing. Handled great. 

YZ 250's are great too. Can't go wrong. Can't speak for the other 250s, but with mods, any 250 can be a fun woods bike. 

Keep in mind you don't have to listen to that dude preachin' about motocross bikes in the woods. There might be bikes that are easier to ride in the woods, but not necessarily more fun to ride. Probably the most impractical bike to ride in the woods would be a 125. Particularly the ones with the light-switch powerbands. But if you're measuring your riding experience by fun instead of speed, the 125 would win it every time, at least for me. They're not slow either, especially if you know how to ride. 

• Like 1

I've had a yz and still have a cr. 01 engine in an 03 frame . 

I much prefer the Hondas handling and ergos. Power is mellow with slightly lower  compression . Very easy to ride. Geared downed 1st is fine. 

It a great bike but its been sitting. The  125sx is being ridden. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MrMuffins said:

Sounds like two stroke fever. 

Only personal experience I had with a 250 was an 02' CR. Bike was great in the woods. Put out nice power. Even with a partially roached motor I was able to get the hole shot in a hare scramble one time. It needed a flywheel weight to tame the hit, but that was about the only thing. Handled great. 

YZ 250's are great too. Can't go wrong. Can't speak for the other 250s, but with mods, any 250 can be a fun woods bike. 

Keep in mind you don't have to listen to that dude preachin' about motocross bikes in the woods. There might be bikes that are easier to ride in the woods, but not necessarily more fun to ride. Probably the most impractical bike to ride in the woods would be a 125. Particularly the ones with the light-switch powerbands. But if you're measuring your riding experience by fun instead of speed, the 125 would win it every time, at least for me. They're not slow either, especially if you know how to ride. 

The greatest part about those rigs mentioned is that it isn't expensive to own one or two of each of them!!  I love my cr's and my yz's.   love my 125's and 250s'.  It is just a question of where to start,  as they can all be made to work great in the woods.  The guy who said you shouldn't consider a motocross bike to ride in the woods didn't understand the what the question was and gave a great answer to a different question,  imo.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I've owned both the 01 and 02 cr250s. Both are mid top motors but the 02 is far more useful motor wise than the 01 at woods riding. The 02+ have incredible handling too. 

Parts availability is good with Honda. Even the old 250R 3 and 4 wheelers still have some parts avaialable for them.

I still have multiple cylinders and a complete 99 cr 250 engine,  and some newer gear sets that would take the taller 3,4,5 that was meant for crf 450s' that I would love to find a 2002 or newer frame for.  We have used a 2000 with at 2001 cylinder for single track and with a 99 cylinder it is loveable,  with the 2000 or 2001 cylinder it is certainly quick.