Jump to content

If you had your choice between these two shocks?

Recommended Posts

If you were to choose between these two shocks what would it be? The bike is a 2016 250xc, primarily ridden in the woods. I currently am using a KYB SSS converted fork and it's amazing. My rear shock is just a tuned WP unit and I have no real complaints with it, I guess just looking new to try. The first shock is a KYB A Kit and the second is a 2015 WP Traxx. Looking for opinions IMG_2566.JPGIMG_2565.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha ive been looking at that guys Trax listings for weeks. He seems to have an unlimited supply of them. I decided to pass on them since I ended up finding the part I needed on my stock shock. Apparently the Trax system really helps keeping the rear wheel planted to the ground for traction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If both have similar performance, pick the one that has the easiest parts availability when time to service or repair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traxx shock. The three way adjuster is not anything special. For woods, a stock kyb unit would be my choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, motonack said:

Haha ive been looking at that guys Trax listings for weeks. He seems to have an unlimited supply of them. I decided to pass on them since I ended up finding the part I needed on my stock shock. Apparently the Trax system really helps keeping the rear wheel planted to the ground for traction.

I looked into this recently and came away with the Trax is maintenance heavy unit. The rebound circuit is prone to damage with regular trail dirt. Haven't mention price but if over $1500 I would look into Ohlins new Flow shock. Otherwise the KYB is my choice,,, nothing better then the coatings on the components.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I don't feel comfortable giving an honest opinion without testing both shocks for at least a year. should I pm you my address?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't service your own shocks then don't get a trax, you will go broke.... 

both of my trax shocks had the little trax springs all rusted and buggered when I bought them, they need to be replaced every 20-30hrs from what I have been told. 

if you buy one secondhand and it has been "serviced" just confirm the little trax springs have been changed, if they didn't strip the trax unit and do this then pass on the shock

Edited by bowser
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Traxx shock I rode was one of the best shocks I've ridden... But it wasn't matched well to the forks making the forks feel atrocious.

I wouldn't buy either and probably go the MX-tech route with their 3 way adjuster... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Monk said:

The Traxx shock I rode was one of the best shocks I've ridden... But it wasn't matched well to the forks making the forks feel atrocious.

I wouldn't buy either and probably go the MX-tech route with their 3 way adjuster... 

You can't, OP wants one or the other!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The adjuster is ok but I didn't like the valving supplied by mx tech at all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mog said:

The adjuster is ok but I didn't like the valving supplied by mx tech at all

I think all around for tuning options it's a step in the right direction... 

Funny, I imagine RaceTech has to be one of the longer running suspension companies around and most of everything they make isn't really reinventing the wheel. Just tuning and perfecting what's supplied...makes me wonder if most of everything is just kinda BS we've all bought into... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Monk, now we are getting somewhere. MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It works better than the products,  usually.   (And the search for the silver bullet continues.)   At least this is more friendly than a conversation on oil.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ossagp said:

It works better than the products,  usually.   (And the search for the silver bullet continues.)   At least this is more friendly than a conversation on oil.  

Depends solely on the product, how the user interprets the data/product and how they can make it usable. I wouldn't go as far to say non of it works, but I would say ask how many people (me included) spend $1000s of dollars in suspension but don't see the benefits cause we have BS ourselves into believing we should have. Can a Traxx shock work better, probably... But if the user isn't willing to accept that even them the Traxx shock has its limitations based on one's setup, you might not be as happy as you might have been had you just stuck with ironing out the kinks in the stock stuff (limited to the engineering provided). 

Suspension can be a little tougher because it's subjective but an exhaust is could be a near perfect example of money spent but not used..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Monk said:

Depends solely on the product, how the user interprets the data/product and how they can make it usable. I wouldn't go as far to say non of it works, but I would say ask how many people (me included) spend $1000s of dollars in suspension but don't see the benefits cause we have BS ourselves into believing we should have. Can a Traxx shock work better, probably... But if the user isn't willing to accept that even them the Traxx shock has its limitations based on one's setup, you might not be as happy as you might have been had you just stuck with ironing out the kinks in the stock stuff (limited to the engineering provided). 

Suspension can be a little tougher because it's subjective but an exhaust is could be a near perfect example of money spent but not used..

To clarify,  I guess I should have said  "improved products" over tuning your stock items when you compare contemporary offerings.  Buying an after market shock can make sense though,  if your oe one is broken beyond repair. I was also referring to marketing of offroad upgrades in general.  I have spent literally nothing on suspension tuning past wear parts,  springs and fluid,  ohhhhhhhhhh.......... time, lots and lots of time.   There sure are some shops out there though that can save you lots of time when it comes to tuning a suspension part.  Great part about thumpertalk here is that if someone wants to read some stickies he can save lots of that too.  Oh,  and money!!

 

Edited by ossagp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welllllll..... this went off into left field didn't it? As for the comment about OP wanting one or the other, that's correct, not interested in other options. Besides, function is always first but let's be real here..... both of these shocks are visually pleasing and both are very fairly priced. I'll probably just grab the KYB, everyone and their mother has a Trax

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

Welllllll..... this went off into left field didn't it? As for the comment about OP wanting one or the other, that's correct, not interested in other options. Besides, function is always first but let's be real here..... both of these shocks are visually pleasing and both are very fairly priced. I'll probably just grab the KYB , everyone and their mother has a Trax

I would have agreed on the KYB. Plus it matches the front... Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ossagp's point about time is a good one, most don't want to invest enough of that. A few days on the trail/track doing nothing but testing various settings can become very tedious and boring but can pay huge dividends. My best susp on my current bike came with carefully adjusted stock stuff. A re-valve ruined that.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mx tech adjuster is a low bleed setup , it can give very precise suspenion control but if you get the valving even slightly too stiff it deflect easily, it never feels plush, but it does feel controlled and you can feel the terrain, imo the larger and faster you are , and the more sand or sx you ride , the more you like it , I'm not mega fast , I weigh 150 and I'm short so can't gang off the back, it was decent still but no way worth the time and money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×