How to keep your fingers warm???

So I'm wondering if anyone has successfully found a way to keep your fingers from freezing when it's stupid cold outside?  I went to a harescramble in Oklahoma last weekend and it was 27 degrees when I hit the course.  I had read on TT (I think in the Baja forum) that if you put surgical gloves under your cycle gloves it will keep your fingers warm.  I'm here to tell you that is a complete load of crap!  I had to stop 10 min into my practice lap because I couldn't hardly bend my fingers because they were so numb.  I ended up putting my hands around the header pipe on my KLX450 and burned the piss out of my fingers, only, I didn't know it because they were numb.  I literally melted the latex gloves to be fingers and I've been picking dead skin off my fingers all week.  Maybe I'm the idiot for believing what I read, but I thought someone maybe knew some great secret.  Anyway, I know summer is coming, but I'd like to know if anyone else has figured out a way to keep this from happening in the future.

Some of my friends use heated grips. A riding buddy turned  me on to water craft gloves. I have had good luck with those at temps lower than you had.

Correct, it was 92 degrees when I finished my harescramble yesterday, cold was the furthest thing from my mind.  More like, someone please put a bullet in my head.  Having said that, I know I will be out in the cold sometime in the future here and thought it would be good to never repeat last week's mistake again.  That and I plan on going back to Colorado this summer to ride and it was around 30 last summer when we went in the early mornings at altitude.

A few years ago I tried disposable plastic gloves in my riding gloves.  Big mistake.  Just got cold and somewhat sweaty hands.  I have heated grips on a bike and they are OK, but what I like better is using something to make a pocket of warmer air.  Like hippo hands or elephant ears.  Keeping the cold air off feels much better to me.  Heated grips get one palm hotter than the other (yes I've done what can be done to try and equal them) and then the tops of your fingers are still cold.