Converting YZ 250F into a WR 250R

I grew up riding dirt bikes and continued to ride until I moved. I bought a YZ 250F a couple of years ago and have just been doing some casual trail riding. I have been really interested in the WR 250R dual sport lately and wondered if I could convert my YZ 250F into a WR 250R. Is this possible to turn a YZ 250F into a WR 250R? If so how would I make my bike better for long rides and rode speed aside from the basic dual sport kits with lights. I was thinking maybe changing some gears and sprockets to get more of the trail and road experience I'm looking for. Aside from that I am just a casual rider and don't know what else I need to change internally. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I grew up riding dirt bikes and continued to ride until I moved. I bought a YZ 250F a couple of years ago and have just been doing some casual trail riding. I have been really interested in the WR 250R dual sport lately and wondered if I could convert my YZ 250F into a WR 250R. Is this possible to turn a YZ 250F into a WR 250R? If so how would I make my bike better for long rides and rode speed aside from the basic dual sport kits with lights. I was thinking maybe changing some gears and sprockets to get more of the trail and road experience I'm looking for. Aside from that I am just a casual rider and don't know what else I need to change internally. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The YZ/WR 250F and WR250R are 2 completely different bikes The "WR250F" is the enduro which is based in the YZ.

The WR250R is an overweight, underpowered street bike. Don't let the "WR" fool you. Yamaha used it as a marketing ploy to trick people into thinking it's something it's not.

• Like 3

I have a wr250r, it has nothing in common with a yzf at all other than its also made by Yamaha.

I like my wr250r but most rides I take it on have long dirt road sections or I ride on back roads, every time I'm on a tough trail I'm wishing I'm on my yz250.

You could get a plate on a yz250f and ride it on the road a bit but its not happy doing it and you will want to stay on the trails as much as you can.

I've had a plated 2 stroke gasgas which would be similar, you don't ride them like you do a bike like the wr250r, I only went down a road to connect trails on the gasgas and ride the wr250r through town just to go for a street ride or run errands.

Edited by biglake