Looking at 09 530 xc-w with 2200 miles

Going to see this bike in 3 days and was hoping for a little insight on what to look for.  It has a rekluse, new tores and larger rear spring for my big ass.

Anyone got a link to what will go wrong with an 09 xc-w?

Just put a new oem piston and rings in it and be happy. I put 11,000 miles on my 08. one of my favorite bikes.

08 and 09 had rings that wore out fast and caused oil usage and you only have just over half a quart in the engine side.

When you order rings now they are superseded with the 2010 part number.

You have to let that bike sit on a stand over night to get an accurate oil level reading through the sight glass, fill almost to the top of glass before EVERY ride.

09 was a strange year with the mfg at its lowest and a recession in USA. I would look for a lower mi bike or at least newer year

If it doesn't look beat up then it will probably be fine. 2200 miles is nothing. I had the exc and like the other guy here put 11000 miles on it  450+ hours and never had the engine apart and it did not use oil excessively. Only had to put oil in after more than 500 miles and then it was just a little. Oil sight glass is unreliable. For a good price it's more than worth it. True if you get a 2011 it will have the better stuff like rings, oil pump shaft and gears, better oring on oil pump cover, etc but all those can be installed to the 09, which I did, for not a lot of money. 09 had a little better suspension than 08 too, less stiction.

Edited by bungholio

Going to see this bike in 3 days and was hoping for a little insight on what to look for.  It has a rekluse, new tores and larger rear spring for my big ass.
Anyone got a link to what will go wrong with an 09 xc-w?

I have an '08 530 and I love it. I bought it used, with about 1.5k miles on it. I've put nine thousand more on it. I believe the '08 and '09 share the same motor. If so, there are a couple of things to be aware of. First, some do burn oil because of rings. Mine does, but it's not even enough to cause it to smoke or foul. I only notice the consumption issue on really long rides - like couple of days of 100+ mile days, then I'll have to add some. Second, there is an issue of oil migration from the engine side to the gearbox side (they are supposed to be two completely separate oil systems). There are posts on the forum about this. It can cause loss of oil on the engine side (which you have to watch because there isn't a ton of oil on that side), and too much oil in the gearbox side. I've spoken to a KTM engine builder who says that when the time comes to rebuild the engine, they'll create a passage so both sides share the same oil (which the factory spec is for the same oil on both sides). It eliminates the problem and just gives you more oil throughout the engine. I'm pulling mine this summer as a precaution, not because it needs it.

This bike is the best I've ridden since I started riding as a kid. I own newer KTMs but this is my favorite and go-to dual sport. Can't recommend it any more enthusiastically. But, ask the guy how often he has to add oil (don't ask "if" but ask how often. If more frequent than after several hundred miles, have a mechanic check it.