so i got my bike this winter, has a fresh top end but i'm going to bring it in to get the bottom end redone if you guys don't mind just answering a quick question, i'm looking to get the most life out of my bike, so would i be better off rebuilding my stock crank? or getting an aftermarket one and balancing and truing it? which would last longer? and what are pros and cons to each? i don't race or anything just ditch bang hard and the occasional trails, thanks

1 minute ago, boulet12 said:

so i got my bike this winter, has a fresh top end but i'm going to bring it in to get the bottom end redone if you guys don't mind just answering a quick question, i'm looking to get the most life out of my bike, so would i be better off rebuilding my stock crank? or getting an aftermarket one and balancing and truing it? which would last longer? and what are pros and cons to each? i don't race or anything just ditch bang hard and the occasional trails, thanks

OEM cranks are extremely durable and not very expensive. Wiseco cranks have a horrible reputation for breaking. Hot Rods cranks are closer to OEM for durability but manufactured in China. A Hot Rods rod kit is made in the US and is a very strong component. I used a HotRods rod kit in my 2009 CRF450R and it worked flawlessly for  3 seasons and is still going after I sold the bike. The nice part about the rod kit is that I was able to have the local machine shop balance it. Lastly if you go with OEM then buy a 2005-07 crank as it's updated. 

OEM cranks are extremely durable and not very expensive. Wiseco cranks have a horrible reputation for breaking. Hot Rods cranks are closer to OEM for durability but manufactured in China. A Hot Rods rod kit is made in the US and is a very strong component. I used a HotRods rod kit in my 2009 CRF450R and it worked flawlessly for  3 seasons and is still going after I sold the bike. The nice part about the rod kit is that I was able to have the local machine shop balance it. Lastly if you go with OEM then buy a 2005-07 crank as it's updated. 

i'm not sure if i would buy a new crank or just get the oem one in there a new connecting rod

8 minutes ago, boulet12 said:

i'm not sure if i would buy a new crank or just get the oem one in there a new connecting rod

Please explain further. Other than the big end bearing and rod, do cranks actually "wear out"? Thanks.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Please explain further. Other than the big end bearing and rod, do cranks actually "wear out"? Thanks.

i'm not sure if i understand what you're asking or trying to say

George is the only guy I have met here so far who is as sarcastic or snide as I am.   I like using stock components where honda lower ends are concerned.  Honda crankshafts are not for every shop to rebuild though,  as they have some sheetmetal on them that makes them hard to align.   Those generally get done by a shop with the right jigs to do it.  

the shop i'm going to specializes in outdoor power cranks, just trying to see the pros and cons of each route

On 3/18/2017 at 8:40 AM, Dklassen said:

Hot Rods cranks are closer to OEM for durability but manufactured in China

I believe Hot Rods cranks are built in Taiwan, not the mainland.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:42 AM, boulet12 said:

This statement is quite unclear: You seem to be comparing a new crank to a new crank.  OEM Honda, the Hot Rods crank, and even the cheap one mentioned all have a new rod in place.  You could also buy the rod, crank pin, and bearing, the have a shop rebuild your current crank with those parts.  That does sometimes equate to as much or more money than the all-new crank option, however.

2 hours ago, grayracer513 said:

This statement is quite unclear: You seem to be comparing a new crank to a new crank.  OEM Honda , the Hot Rods crank, and even the cheap one mentioned all have a new rod in place.  You could also buy the rod, crank pin, and bearing, the have a shop rebuild your current crank with those parts.  That does sometimes equate to as much or more money than the all-new crank option, however.

If you view the "1992 Consensus",   there is just ONE China.  I think of Taiwan as the "best neighborhood" of China.  Probably about 20 mil of the 23 mil living on Taiwan disagree with the 92 deal.  

2 hours ago, boulet12 said:

the shop i'm going to specializes in outdoor power cranks, just trying to see the pros and cons of each route

Good,  I just hope they have the jigs I mentioned,   these don't work like every other one I have built.   Pressed a bunch of others and aligned them too,  but that one isn't for every shop.  Call Phil at the crankworks if your shop can't show you the jigs mentioned,  or you get something that feels like harley sportster. 

9 minutes ago, ossagp said:

If you view the "1992 Consensus",   there is just ONE China.  I think of Taiwan as the "best neighborhood" of China.  Probably about 20 mil of the 23 mil living on Taiwan disagree with the 92 deal.  

Off topic.  But it's really simple: Is Taiwan communist?  No?  Then it isn't China.

8 hours ago, grayracer513 said:

This statement is quite unclear: You seem to be comparing a new crank to a new crank.  OEM Honda , the Hot Rods crank, and even the cheap one mentioned all have a new rod in place.  You could also buy the rod, crank pin, and bearing, the have a shop rebuild your current crank with those parts.  That does sometimes equate to as much or more money than the all-new crank option, however.

ill try that one again, i currently have the stock honda crank, what would be the pros and cons between staying with the crank and getting a new rod put in and what not, an getting a hot rods crank put in? looking to make it last but want to know if there is any other advantages to each

OEM Honda is a known, high quality crank, 100% new, and absent any manufacturing defects, it removes any concerns about an overlooked problem that might exist, such as a crack at the axle/flywheel joints. Often the most expensive option.

Since two-stroke cranks don't drive cam chains, there is very little that happens to the axles to cause any wear to worry about, so a crank rebuilt by a competent machinist results in one that is a hand-built and presumably perfectly aligned crank with a new rod, bearing and pin for about the same money (maybe less, maybe not) as new.

Hot Rods cranks give you a break on the price, and with that, one normally expects a reduction in value of some kind, but they seem to be good reliable components nevertheless.

Wiseco? Sketchy reputation, with complaints about vibration (poorly aligned from the factory), early bearing failures, and in Hondas, the sheet metal cladding has been known to fall off (messy).

20 hours ago, grayracer513 said:

Off topic.  But it's really simple: Is Taiwan communist?  No?  Then it isn't China.

Like you say, it is off topic.  I will "simply" leave it there. 

• Like 1