Will honda ever bring back an air cooled 400?

Im new back into the dirt scene. Ive been out since the mid late 90s. I regret ever leaving. 

Im a huge fan of the air cooled bikes. More reliability, less maintenance, less breakage on the trail, more fun. 

I own a xr400, imo the best all around bike ive ever ridden. While the bike can feel heavy at times compared to modern technology, you cannot deny that powerband of the bike for any type of riding. 

Im aware honda makes a crf230, which they say is full size. I haven't ridden one though. It just seems underpowered at a tick under 20hp compared to the tick over 30 a 400cc brings. Im 215lbs and 6ft, so the bike just seems like i wont have as much fun. I wish there was more to offer for air cooled with newer technology frame and suspension wise. 

My riding style is paced...not agressive. I love to short shift...and on my 400 i love to stay in 3rd gear 75% of the time and 2nd gear the other 25%. I enjoy semi technical riding, love trails, occasional hill climbs, and might venture out on the mx track just putt around and to join friends nothing more. 

With all the manufacturers and models available, what are options air cooled wise bigger than the crf230 for a bike that will see dirt 100% of the time? 

Or....am i not giving the crf230 enough credit? Like i said, i never even sat on one. The specs seem too small for me to have a ear to ear grin on my face. 

Thanks

My brother in-law had one i have a xr4, i wouldn't waste my time on the 230.

• Like 2

I cant think of any large bore air cooled dirt only bikes. The xr650L is air cooled. But its a dual sport.

Have you tried a modern 250F trail oriented bike? Yes there is more maintenance ( frequent oil changes ), but if you are not a "rev limiter" kind of rider, you can expect long engine life.

OR. Depending on the condition of your XR4, strip er down and rebuild it back up with some suspension upgrades. Motor wise, it sounds like you are content with the way it performs.

• Like 2

230 is by no means full size. It's a small bike with big wheels. My buddy has a 230 and I am selling him my xr500r. It's a full size bike. A 230 is also very heavy. His weighs the same as my 06 CRF250X

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dlock5 said:

My brother in-law had one i have a xr4, i wouldn't waste my time on the 230.

I was kinda thinking thats how i would feel. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, XRalways said:

I cant think of any large bore air cooled dirt only bikes. The xr650L is air cooled. But its a dual sport.

Have you tried a modern 250F trail oriented bike? Yes there is more maintenance ( frequent oil changes ), but if you are not a "rev limiter" kind of rider, you can expect long engine life.

OR. Depending on the condition of your XR4, strip er down and rebuild it back up with some suspension upgrades. Motor wise, it sounds like you are content with the way it performs.

Those modern 250fs are appealing, but they are all watercooled. The higher compression maintenance and radiators to bust up im not really interested in dealing with. Thanks for youre input though. I was aware of the BRP being made still..but its hella heavy and dual purpose as you said. Not quite what I'm looking for.

1 minute ago, CarmanCRF said:

230 is by no means full size. It's a small bike with big wheels. My buddy has a 230 and I am selling him my xr500r. It's a full size bike. A 230 is also very heavy. His weighs the same as my 06 CRF250X

The conclusion seems to be im shit out of luck. Lol. Has there even been any talk about honda bringing the 400 back though? Im more than certain they would sell out of every one of them for a good 5 yrs at least. I most definitely would buy one ?

Are you looking to sell your 400? Im just a little confused I guess. If you are happy with your current bike, keep it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XRalways said:

Are you looking to sell your 400? Im just a little confused I guess. If you are happy with your current bike, keep it.

No. Ill never sell it. But, just wondering really if theres ever been talk (from honda) of producing a more modern chassis and suspension with the 400 air cooled honda...or if there were more up to date air cooled big bore options. Im happy as hell with it though. But it doesnt hurt to have more bikes....right? Lol

1 hour ago, fastman454 said:

No. Ill never sell it. But, just wondering really if theres ever been talk (from honda ) of producing a more modern chassis and suspension with the 400 air cooled honda...or if there were more up to date air cooled big bore options. Im happy as hell with it though. But it doesnt hurt to have more bikes....right? Lol

There is probably a better chance of Honda making a two-stroke again than bringing back an XR 400 type bike.

No. Ill never sell it............................................. But it doesnt hurt to have more bikes....right? Lol

Nope nothing wrong with having more bikes at all, that's why I have 4 XR400's  and always looking for good deals on more of them.IMG_20161023_094939650.jpg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tryingoutdirt said:

Nope nothing wrong with having more bikes at all, that's why I have 4 XR400's  and always looking for good deals on more of them.IMG_20161023_094939650.jpg

My bro! Nice collection. Super jealous.  I wish my wife would be more on board! I hate seeing these bikes get wore down. They arent hard to care for! I would love for 1 real clean stock xr400. The one i do have i picked up for a steal of 600 bucks. Its not bad, but the kickstand is ripped off. The inside of the frame has been exposed too long and well eventually rust out im guessing. Its all stock and complete (minus kickstand)...but i want a cherry one to keep forever for sure like the ones you have!

20170315_211130.jpg

• Like 1

Doubt it, I can see them bringing back a 2 stroke engine before a 400 air cooled engine....KTM just announced a fuel injected two stroke engine. I am waiting to see how or what Honda engineering does as far as bringing back a 2 stroke motorcycle into there line up.

Doubt it, I can see them bringing back a 2 stroke engine before a 400 air cooled engine....KTM just announced a fuel injected two stroke engine. I am waiting to see how or what Honda engineering does as far as bringing back a 2 stroke motorcycle into there line up.

If I am not mistaken, Yamaha is the only Japanese company to be maintaining the smokers. I would be surprised if Honda brought back a smoker, my opinion of course. If they did, they would need to enter the offroad market, as it seems that the offroad crowd is growing exponentially.

I too, would love a garage of XR's. I rebuilt a 97 250 over the winter, but will most likely sell it. I really want a street legal XR650R which is not easy to come by in Ontario, Canada. I would settle for a nice XR4 for bushwacking and trail cleaning.
  • Like 3

If you want something a smidge more advanced then try a Yamaha TTR250. A lil lighter but it has electric start, Air Cooled, four valves and a higher compression motor than the XR250. Last year for them was 2006. This is not the pint sized 230. 

Edited by shrubitup

I really think Honda should bring back the xr650r but with a street title, 6 speed, EFI and electric start. Perfect competitor to the 690 enduro and the husky 701 that are selling like crazy

Most people want a bike with 65hp vs one with 30 like the 650l

• Like 2

My bro! Nice collection. Super jealous.  I wish my wife would be more on board! I hate seeing these bikes get wore down. They arent hard to care for! I would love for 1 real clean stock xr400. The one i do have i picked up for a steal of 600 bucks. Its not bad, but the kickstand is ripped off. The inside of the frame has been exposed too long and well eventually rust out im guessing. Its all stock and complete (minus kickstand)...but i want a cherry one to keep forever for sure like the ones you have!

20170315_211130.jpg

Welcome to the group,

You have a good looking XR there nothing wrong with battle scars mine are all well ridden, I have repaired the kick stand on two of them and still have to fabricate a new mount on the one that's leaning against the tree, very common problem area on these old girls,.

You are right they are easy to maintain but if you get behind the cruve on them it can get out of control. have you checked the swing arm bolt yet, they can be nasty to get out if neglected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tryingoutdirt said:

Welcome to the group,

You have a good looking XR there nothing wrong with battle scars mine are all well ridden, I have repaired the kick stand on two of them and still have to fabricate a new mount on the one that's leaning against the tree, very common problem area on these old girls,.

You are right they are easy to maintain but if you get behind the cruve on them it can get out of control. have you checked the swing arm bolt yet, they can be nasty to get out if neglected.

No i have pretty much gone over everything but the swing arm bolt and the front fork. I plan to do that soon though. Hopefully mine isn't in bad shape. Changed all fluids and greased the rear axle, put a new chain on and slider, some new grips, levers, and added bark busters. Inspected brakes and made sure spokes were tight. 

I havent searched but are there posts on here with guidance on repairing ripped off kickstands? I sure would like to have it back on, but its gonna take some welding for sure

9 minutes ago, Tryingoutdirt said:

There are a few .. Here is one that was done pretty good 

Good stuff. Thanks ?

I really think Honda should bring back the xr650r but with a street title, 6 speed, EFI and electric start. Perfect competitor to the 690 enduro and the husky 701 that are selling like crazy
Most people want a bike with 65hp vs one with 30 like the 650l

Hopefully a Honda rep is reading that. I honestly dont know why, out of the R and the L, they wouldnt have just made the R completely street legal. If Honda did bring that into production, I think it would be a good seller. Not everyone wants to pay huge bucks for a BMW, KTM, HUSKY.
  • Like 1