Could this be the problem?

Hey guys I've been having a problem with A LOT of spooge for a while with my 02 cr250 and I just can't find the problem. I've put in a new top end, rejetted the bike to my area and it still spits out spooge. I took out the reeds and I saw thisImage1489873595.096010.jpg is this even supposed to be bent?Image1489873669.489792.jpg Could this be the problem?

You definitely need new reeds & reed stopper.

What brand of oil do you run?

What type of riding do you do?

You definitely need new reeds & reed stopper.

What brand of oil do you run?

What type of riding do you do?

I run maxima k2 at 32:1
I ride mostly mx
Should I just purchase an entire reed cage or just the reeds and the stopper?

You can get just the reeds & stopper.

I asked in the oil because some oils have a high flash point. If you did slow speed single track riding & were running an oil with a high flashpoint, spoofs is going to be a problem.

Something to consider is the crank seals. How old are They?

The transmission side seal could be taking in transmission fluid.

The seals can be changes from the outside. If you opt to change the seals, make sure you grease the lip of the seals (The part that runs on the crank stub).

You can get just the reeds & stopper.

I asked in the oil because some oils have a high flash point. If you did slow speed single track riding & were running an oil with a high flashpoint, spoofs is going to be a problem.

Something to consider is the crank seals. How old are They?

The transmission side seal could be taking in transmission fluid.

The seals can be changes from the outside. If you opt to change the seals, make sure you grease the lip of the seals (The part that runs on the crank stub).

Not the seals I replaced them a couple rides ago

You are on the right track. Since you need reeds anyway, why not step up to to the Vforce 3? Also, are you running the stock Mikuni carb?

If so, there have been pages written about how to properly jet them to get them to spooge less, and perform better on the bottom end. Those carbs tend to work really well but top end is where they seem to work best. They leave a little to be desired down low IN STOCK FORM. That is why I recommend you read up on how to jet them..  Or, swap over to the Keihin Air Striker.. Many have made this conversion. Most love it. I'm one of the believers. It must be said though that a properly tuned/jetted Mikuni should theoretically be able to perform on par with a Keihin.

Edited by Kawabuggy
  • Like 1

You are on the right track. Since you need reeds anyway, why not step up to to the Vforce 3? Also, are you running the stock Mikuni carb?
If so, there have been pages written about how to properly jet them to get them to spooge less, and perform better on the bottom end. Those carbs tend to work really well but top end is where they seem to work best. They leave a little to be desired down low IN STOCK FORM. That is why I recommend you read up on how to jet them..  Or, swap over to the Keihin Air Striker.. Many have made this conversion. Most love it. I'm one of the believers. It must be said though that a properly tuned/jetted Mikuni should theoretically be able to perform on par with a Keihin.

Yes I am running a mikuni carb at the moment. I've been told by many people to switch to a keihin air striker carb but I'd like to see how close I can get it with the mikuni. I have a 380 main, 32.5 pilot jet and a 6BEY30-74 needle. I'm going to get the boyesen dual stage power reads but I will purchase the vforce reeds later on

In 2001 when Honda went to the mikuni I bought a 2001 cylinder to put on a 2000.  It came with the mikuni carburetor still on it.   It is definetly useable.  Those have a seat which is removeable as I recall,  and the gasket under them can leak.  Check yours and set the float before you buy the pwk.  I sold the mikuni since I already had the stock 2000 carburetor,  but i wanted to try it.  For trail I would have kept it if not for already having the pwk,  and the magazines had raved about the 01 cylinder and carb combination so much that someone was willing to pay way too much for a used carburetor.  (That equals sold at my address. )

8 hours ago, CRJohnny said:

Make the change to the PWK , and just so you know reeds  are a wear item 20- 30 hours that's it . 

Quicker on the carbon reeds for me.  I have some boyesen fiber glass ones that must have 200 hours on them,  dual stage.  

On 21/03/2017 at 3:22 AM, ossagp said:

Quicker on the carbon reeds for me.  I have some boyesen fiber glass ones that must have 200 hours on them,  dual stage.  

I'm a hard rider and always on the pipe. I wish I could get at least half of what you're getting but hey what's $80

6 hours ago, CRJohnny said:

I'm a hard rider and always on the pipe. I wish I could get at least half of what you're getting but hey what's $80

What ones do you use?