How well might chain wax spray work on a truck frame to prevent rust?

I want to coat my truck's frame to stop rust. I'm curious how well you think chain wax would work. Also, if I were to do that, how long do you think it might be until the wax should be reapplied? I know there's more permanent options for coating the frame, but compared to a lot of other options chain wax would be inexpensive and wouldn't take very much time to apply.

Had my truck 10 years stored on driveway whole time (no garage). Had rust everywhere underside the vehicle about 3 years into it. Took it to body shop a year ago where they ground it all off and sprayed a rhino-liner like product. No rust since. It was $500 which was a good buy for me because I don't have the tools, lift, or the anti-rust coating either. 

• Like 1

Fluid film is inexpensive, and it's quick and easy to apply. So I see why a lot of people use it. But I'm hoping to find something that doesn't remain a liquid. From what I've read and watched on youtube, Fluid film needs to be reapplied every year, it collects dirt which sticks to it, and the more it's washed the quicker it comes off allowing rust.

Tbh I never used chain wax, which is probably part of why I had so many problems with my dirt bike chains. And the next bike I get (hopefully this spring) I'm going to use chain wax, now that I realize it exists. But since I never used it, I don't know if it dries into a solid or stays as a liquid. I'm assuming since it's wax that it's a solid, so I was hoping it might not need reapplication as often as oily coatings. But idk, so I want to find out. My brother gave me a can of it to test, to see if I wanted to coat the truck frame with it. I haven't tested it yet on a scrap piece of metal, but it would take at least months for the test.

I might have to try this stuff on the chain! :ride:

Seems like the chain was could be ideal in tight places where dirt and water can collect. Of course, these areas would have to be clean and dried first.

Might also try the silicon spray foam tire shines. I use this stuff in fender wells and suspension components of the Frontier. It all looks new under there when done. It does wash out, the frame area is still black with the factory QC markings still visible.

• 4 months later...
On 3/18/2017 at 8:36 PM, Jay Is Jay said:

Fluid film is inexpensive, and it's quick and easy to apply. So I see why a lot of people use it. But I'm hoping to find something that doesn't remain a liquid. From what I've read and watched on youtube, Fluid film needs to be reapplied every year, it collects dirt which sticks to it, and the more it's washed the quicker it comes off allowing rust.

Tbh I never used chain wax, which is probably part of why I had so many problems with my dirt bike chains. And the next bike I get (hopefully this spring) I'm going to use chain wax, now that I realize it exists. But since I never used it, I don't know if it dries into a solid or stays as a liquid. I'm assuming since it's wax that it's a solid, so I was hoping it might not need reapplication as often as oily coatings. But idk, so I want to find out. My brother gave me a can of it to test, to see if I wanted to coat the truck frame with it. I haven't tested it yet on a scrap piece of metal, but it would take at least months for the test.

Chain wax is sticky, so it will also collect dirt.  I'd think at a minimum you'd have to clean it off every year an re-apply.  Probably more often if you wash the underside of your truck or take it off-road.

And chain wax probably won't just come off with soap and water.  Most guys like using a rag soaked in kerosene as that takes it off pretty quickly.  Do you want to spray your truck frame down with kerosene every year?

• 2 weeks later...

Cj0KCQjw24nNBRChARIsALldLD0K8PDG8H69gax15kwctbb5dQQcJ_wj5AfFBSaip17LsK4UBwvoV18aAq5BEALw_wcB

POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating, 1 Pint - Gloss Black