DRZ 400 E LED turn signal problems

Hey guys, recently my taillight on my DRZ 400E broke. I bought the bike with a street legal conversion and the tail light I bought it with finally cracked and stopped working. The tail light also had turn signals attached to each side, like a all in one kit kind of thing (also had a massive ugly wale tail). Because I had no idea what kind of kit it was (some ebay off brand I would have to guess) I ended up finding a LED system on amazon for a decent price and buying it. Overall I am happy with it, as I have wired up the running light, brake light, and license light....only problem is, my old system each turn signal had a positive and a negative wire running to it. With this new LED system, each turn signal only has a positive wire running out. I tried hooking up the positives from the old system to the positives on the new system and just letting the negatives go, and the signals didn't blink at all. No matter what I do I can not get these dang LED turn signals to turn on at all....What am I doing wrong? Im pretty electrically challenged so maybe I am just missing something....

There should be negative also otherwise it will not work. Look for metallic parts, most likely there is a bolt or smth for attaching. If can't figure yourself, give link to ebay item or send pics

• Like 1

ok I was able to get the graphic of the wiring for the new tail light off the website, and also made up a bad graphic for the old system to help explain the situation (don't mind my bad Photoshop skills) 

so heres the problem. naturally I connect blue to blue for day running, red to red for brake light, and black to the three black for the negative since the new system only has one and the old has 3. Last of all connect the yellow to yellow and the other yellow to yellow and red. 

the running light and brake light work fine, however the turn signals will not turn on at all. I am a fool when it comes to wiring so if anyone can shed some light on the situation by all means at this point I will accept any advice

New cropped light.jpg

old tail.jpg

So this is first time you try to fit LED turn signals (I mean before you had ones with light bulbs in)? In this case I would bet on turn signal relay. Actually I would guess LED signal would just stay consistently on, but perhaps it can be like this also. To check if those LEDs work, you can try to feed +12V to yellow wires (ground on black). If it works, then look for LED turn signal relay. I bought one for cheap recently, but haven't tried it yet as my DRZ is not used on street yet and LED turn signals still rest in box :). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011BTMDQM there are more. Also idk if it is just plug out/plug in situation as I don't have he original at all (E model). Perhaps locate your relay and try to find one with similar pins.

Edited by Yanka

1 hour ago, Yanka said:

So this is first time you try to fit LED turn signals (I mean before you had ones with light bulbs in)? In this case I would bet on turn signal relay. Actually I would guess LED signal would just stay consistently on, but perhaps it can be like this also. To check if those LEDs work, you can try to feed +12V to yellow wires (ground on black). If it works, then look for LED turn signal relay. I bought one for cheap recently, but haven't tried it yet as my DRZ is not used on street yet and LED turn signals still rest in box :). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011BTMDQM there are more. Also idk if it is just plug out/plug in situation as I don't have he original at all (E model). Perhaps locate your relay and try to find one with similar pins.

thank you so much, yes this is the first time I have put LED signals on this bike, I just had the standard filament bulbs on before. I had a spare motorcycle battery around and ran a wire from the positive and negative on the battery to the positive and negative on the signals and they worked fine. I have a relay for LED signals coming in the mail now so I am hoping that is the problem. 

4 hours ago, Yanka said:

I"m thinking you need a Suzuki compatible flasher relay https://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Controller-Suzuki-Signal-Bandit/dp/B003UN4FXW

Been a while since I did mine.

5 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

If you mean me, then I will build it from scratch (when/if I get to it :D), so doesn't matter. 

If you mean the original author, I mentioned about compatibility, yes it would be much easier swap if it is just plug in ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

I"m thinking you need a Suzuki compatible flasher relay https://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Controller-Suzuki-Signal-Bandit/dp/B003UN4FXW

Been a while since I did mine.

Since mine is an E model it doesn't come with signals from factory so the previous owner who installed the signals used a 2 pin relay so I ordered the one Yanka sent....due to arrive in 2 days I will update the forum to see if it solves the problem

11 hours ago, LoLoSama said:

when i installed my rear stop light (drc edge 2) it came with a relay, from the oem relay i had to remove 2 wires from the oem relay base to connect to the new relay and BOTH relay are in use.

does the drc edge 2 have integrated turn signals? 

8 hours ago, LoLoSama said:

i got the upgraded board at the same time, so mine does, but you have to buy it separately. i, personally like it.

what did the drc edge 2 and the board upgrade cost do you remember? I think I looked at it but it was pretty expensive

Relay showed up today, pulled the old one out, plugged the new one in, turn signals work mint now. Can't believe it was such a simple fix, should have consulted the forums sooner, instead of wasting my time messing around with it, thanks to everyone that helped. 

20170325_182128.jpg

20170325_182203.jpg

• Like 1