Bought a gem of a Dr350

Hello TT! First post on this forum, only because someone has already answered every single question I've had in the past year. Seriously you guys F'n rock! Very anxious for the snow to melt so I figured why not share my Dr with the world in the meantime.

I wanted to pick up a thumper last August to have a dualsport to take to class and mess around trails when I was up at school. Nothing nice, just something dependable with mostly original hardware for under 2k (broke college kid budget) did my research, it had to be a Dr. So I trekked from southern NH up to Maine to look at a '99 Dr350se with 14K on the OD... I know 14K is a lot, but the pictures looked great. The guy selling it, who was only the 2nd owner, said it had just about no rust and he had only done 1000 mi on her in the 2 years he had it (which was actually true I have the title)

The bike looked perfect when I got there other than that blowby on the tail. But for a '99 with high miles I figured she would at least need rings and gaskets soon. Wicked cool guy no BS, he never touched a thing on the bike besides battery and registration stickers, the thing just ran. He insisted I take it for a test ride before I even consider making an offer so took a little cruise up the dirt road and left my girlfriend to lay down a little pre-negotiation charm on him the wife. By the time I left wifey was bringing me to the shed to grab all the free spare tires and wheels the four of us could carry, and they were all in usable condition. Next hands me 3 soft binders, one was a general maintenance manual, one a model year specific manual, and one stacked full of documents, receipts, title and handwritten parts lists :jawdrop: ended up taking everything home for $1200, $200 lower than the asking price just because he thought I was a good guy. (Total wheels and tires I got for free was a complete front and rear set each with 50/50 on/off tires mounted, as well as 2 rear on/off tires and 1 spare front mx tire)

But wait there's more...

Of course I'm dying to see what receipts are there so lets have a look... 

Everything with a receipt was dated from 2008-2013 (could be worse right?) we've got:

• Both sprockets (stock gearing)
  • Chain
  • Discs & pads
  • Fork boots
  • Front fork seals
  • Clutch
  • Clutch cable

Now I start getting into the nitty gritty... no receipts or dates but after doing a little sleuthing:

• DynoJet stage 2 or 3 kit (found the 'in box' installation instructions, plus the jet sizes are scribbled down on that paper i mentioned)
  • 1 1/2" exhaust mod (found email printouts so I go check the bike, sure enough 1 1/2")
  • and for the Holy Grail... Yes that's right ALL of the emails back and forth regarding shipment for the 440 big bore and sleeve :shocked:

May I add, when that guy said no rust he wasn't joking. There's a flake or two on the exhaust but everywhere else is paint. Every nut bolt and connector on the Dr440 is completely stock, right down to the alien antenna mirrors. The bike obviously couldn't have been ridden that hard, I broke those mirrors off that first week... Airbox has the big ol holes of course. It has a K&N reusable air filter pretty sure that is not stock correct?

It had motard tires when i first got it (in that pic by the river) but I am taking this spring to gear her a little more for more dirt.  I just wrestled a brand new DOT track tire onto the main rim and I have that mx tire mounted on a spare rim sitting on deck. 

It'd be awesome to get some input from you guys, maybe do's and don'ts on modifications I can make from here? Also let me know what you think of my plans, I'm open to all (most) input. Right now my grocery list is as follows:

• -1 in the front (currently sits at 15/44)
  • FMF pipe (what's the best option for Dr? is there a full FMF system for a '99 Dr or just slip ons?)
  • DynoJet Stage 3 (if I don't have it already, how would I go about checking the jet size?)
  • RaceTech rear shock spring ( 7.2 kg/mm or 7.6 kg/mm constant rate? suggestions?)
  • POSSIBLY swap for RM fork or just revalve? (is it still worth doing rear and not front?)

Thanks a bunch guys, I'm dying to hearing what you think

20170318_155333.jpg

20161030_182403.jpg

• Like 1

Solid deal! I'm in Maine and think I saw that bike. 14k is fine if you care for it.

FMF only has a slip-on, Pro Circuit has a full race exhaust. The DG slip-on seems decent and less expensive.

I've heard a fork swap can be very pricey.

4 hours ago, Tekime said:

The DG slip-on seems decent and less expensive.

The DG's a great value and adds power for sure. It is loud though and I have heard reports of the Pro Circuit being loud on other bikes. Personally I would spring for FMF if you can afford it.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you guys don't think I was crazy to pick her up in the first place.

I have some thinking to do about the slip on or full circuit, most of my buddies ride 2 strokes so I'm not SUPER concerned about having a loud bike... Obviously I'll get better performance out of the full, but do you guys its worth $300 for the upgrade? (vs. just getting the slip on)

On 3/23/2017 at 9:27 PM, plugeye said:

no pipe or exhaust is worth it imo

are you racing? if not, there is no benefit from louder exhaust

stock works just as well & its loud enough

Agreed, aftermarket exhausts on DR's just make more noise. The only power increase that you may feel is at wide open throttle and that's if you get the jetting right.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 10:36 PM, Jeff@TheQuadShop said:

Agreed, aftermarket exhausts on DR's just make more noise. The only power increase that you may feel is at wide open throttle and that's if you get the jetting right.

Interesting... Would it be smarter to just spend the money on the TM33 carb instead? I figured exhaust would be the easiest rout but I'm not sure if I'll spend the money if the only benefit is noise. I hear the pumper carb can be a decent upgrade on the Dr, im just worried about dialing in jetting for the 440

Looks awesome! Lots of good guys up in Maine, bought a car and one of my first bikes in the Bangor area for songs, all good old guys who just want to see there stuff cared for the way they cared for them.

There's a lot that you can do to a DR350, hide your credit card and then surf over to ProCyclehttps://procycle.us/bikepages/dr350.html#fuelsystems

Nothing wrong with this DR or it's age but based on it's age I would definitely consider servicing the suspension and lubing the linkage.  Then instead of a new muffler I would buy a foam air filter (if yours needs replacing ~ get a Twin Air) and then a jet kit.

• Like 1

I just bought one like that my self, except mine is stock displacement.  What are the tricks for changing the oil on this bike?

On 5/9/2017 at 0:02 AM, GlennRay said:

What are the tricks for changing the oil on this bike?

The dry sump is a little tricky, you need to warm it up completely then drain the oil from BOTH drain plugs  (You may need to remove the skid plate if you have one). Once she's empty put about a quart and a half oil in and warm her up again. Check the dip stick (oil level should be low), add a couple more swigs of oil, let her warm up again, wash rinse repeat... Its a bit of a process but it goes faster after the first couple oil changes.

On 4/29/2017 at 6:53 PM, zig06 said:

There's a lot that you can do to a DR350, hide your credit card and then surf over to ProCyclehttps://procycle.us/bikepages/dr350.html#fuelsystems

Nothing wrong with this DR or it's age but based on it's age I would definitely consider servicing the suspension and lubing the linkage.  Then instead of a new muffler I would buy a foam air filter (if yours needs replacing ~ get a Twin Air) and then a jet kit.

Thanks zig06, after some reading around i'm definitely sold on a fuel system upgrades before I do a slip on. I'm throwing in some new needle bearings this weekend definitely going to grease everything while i'm rooting around down there.

I was looking around ProCycle the other day, do you know if they will offer decent advice for jetting? Its running really well right now I'm just worried about getting myself into a nightmare if I do the pumper carb upgrade.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dr.dualsport said:

The dry sump is a little tricky, you need to warm it up completely then drain the oil from BOTH drain plugs  (You may need to remove the skid plate if you have one). Once she's empty put about a quart and a half oil in and warm her up again. Check the dip stick (oil level should be low), add a couple more swigs of oil, let her warm up again, wash rinse repeat... Its a bit of a process but it goes faster after the first couple oil changes.

Thanks zig06, after some reading around i'm definitely sold on a fuel system upgrades before I do a slip on. I'm throwing in some new needle bearings this weekend definitely going to grease everything while i'm rooting around down there.

I was looking around ProCycle the other day, do you know if they will offer decent advice for jetting? Its running really well right now I'm just worried about getting myself into a nightmare if I do the pumper carb upgrade.

Pro Cycle has a solid reputation with the DR650 crowd (I'm one of them), I see no reason for that to change when working on a different bike or brand.  Give them a call if you have any questions.

Interesting... Would it be smarter to just spend the money on the TM33 carb instead? I figured exhaust would be the easiest rout but I'm not sure if I'll spend the money if the only benefit is noise. I hear the pumper carb can be a decent upgrade on the Dr, im just worried about dialing in jetting for the 440

I've got the tm33 with pumper carb and a 1/4 turn throttle on my 98 and my bike has a lot more snap than buddies' DRZ's