CS Seal and Bushing Replacement Tips

Sup guys,

In the home stretch of the refresh on my '01 S, But have hit another rough patch. CS oil seal appears to be weeping a minor amount, but since every other seal is dried out and cracked i figure its best to just replace them before it gets really bad 100mi from home.

Im running into an issue where the CS bushing (Part#27531-29F00) is stuck down on the shaft and wont come out. Im able to get some play in it, but cant seem to work it out with reasonable force. Attempted to shoot a bit of PB Blaster in there to help lube it out, but still not getting any further.

Before i just man-handle the thing with a pair of channel clamps i figured id post here and see if anyone had tips to share. Dont want to force it and end up causing more damage or stripping a retainer lip off or anything. Other bikes just slip right out, so was concerned i may be missing something here (Retainer is out, washer and sprocket are off)

Thx!

-Rich

Edited by RC_ichard

It is not uncommon for them to be stuck on the shaft. There is an oring between the collar and the shaft, these 'stick' some times as well as debris (rust) between the collar and shaft. On some bikes, I've had to resort to a puller working on a pair of channel locks on the collar. Then burnish the output shaft, replace the collar and oring.

Chances are, just the oring has 'fused itself' to the shaft and once you 'break that stiction', the collar will slide off.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, William1 said:

once you 'break that stiction', the collar will slide off.

Thats a good way of putting it. Feels like its 'sucking' itself back into the orifice, thanks for confirming.

Ill man up and throw some elbow greeze at it and see how she fairs. Thanks! 

Put away my panties and the thing came right out on the 3rd tug.

...one last question, my manual shows the spacer installed with the two half circle cutouts hidden inside the oil seal in one of the photos, but then contradicts that with the bushing facing the CS Sprocket side outside the seal lip in the next photo.

No real  clarification or any detail on why there are conflicting photos, so hoping someone can confirm before I put everything back together.

Anybody know for sure which way is the appropriate way to orientate the bushing/spacer? Thx!!

Edited by RC_ichard