Bogging problem

Does anyone know how to fix the famous bogging problem on a 2004 wr250f? If I am riding on trails I sometimes need to give it a quick large amount of throttle to get over obstacles in first gear. and when I try to, it bogs out and causes me and the bike to loose balance and fall. Any helpful imputed to solve the problem is greatly apreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Muffin,

I took your advice on my yz250f and here is the outcome: I verified that the carb had the oring mod performed, which it had (tied with metal wire).  I then replaced the leak jet to a 50 and no big!  It's gone!

But I do agree, buy an all balls carb rebuild kit, they have all the Jets you will need, leak jet included.  

• Like 1

That kit is for rebuilding back to factory spec; and a smaller leak jet will also help a lot.  

A JD Jet Kit will help more.  JD provides a different main needle with a different taper from stock, main jets, and detailed instructions.  If you still have the stock muffler, swapping that out for a YZ250F muffler (03-05) and adding a sparky will finish getting you out of the bogs and add power.  I've added it to all of mine, it does wonders.  My $.02

I have a gytr exhaust with spark arrestor. I have a jd jetting kit that came with the bike but it is almost basically unlabeled, and I have no idea what I am looking at. If I get the smaller leak jet and a jd needle, would that be better than doing the whole rebuild?

16 hours ago, jman0105 said:

I have a gytr exhaust with spark arrestor. I have a jd jetting kit that came with the bike but it is almost basically unlabeled, and I have no idea what I am looking at. If I get the smaller leak jet and a jd needle, would that be better than doing the whole rebuild?

If the bike is starts cold or hot, idles, and basically running OK, then I'd say yes.  Sounds like its just the "bog" and lack of "snap", and you're looking for improvements against that current baseline.  And sounds like you just need the instructions for your kit.  The Blue needle is for low altitude 3,000 ft and under.  The Red needle is high altitude above 3,000 ft.  Beyond that, I'd have to look at mine instructions.  If you need them, let me know, and I'll go look for my and PM them to you.  Or you can call or email JD, and they'll send the instructions to you.

Edited by ronbuell

Mine had the same problem.  I verified the accelerator pump was functioning, did a complete carb clean, rejetted, and installed a #35 leak jet.  Now it runs with showroom performance.  Note that your gas mileage will suffer with the small leak jet.

• Like 1

By chance can you give me the link for the leak jet, I've been looking online and I cannot find one

You can go to the link here and contact them with a question.

Well, i tried to upload the instructions, and they have not enabled adding pics to the new site yet.  PM me with your email and I can send it to you.

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=25&cat=12&page=1

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 9:47 AM, jman0105 said:

By chance can you give me the link for the leak jet , I've been looking online and I cannot find one

Rocky Mountain ATV had them.  My dealer couldn't find them either.