Is it safe to take a 1,500 mile trip on a KLR 250?

I'd say yes because it a Japanese bike and I think it's a good idea. Why do all highway, can't you find a route with a little more back roads?

Even though you weigh 150, riding a 250 for that long on the freeway would be brutal because your combined weight with the bike is the same as a paper bag compared to a semi truck, when its windy it is hard to keep a line at that speed on a light bike.  "A 250" can make that distance, but you mentioned you replaced a cam that only lasted 1,000 miles, there is something wrong with that picture. Either it was installed wrong or there are other issues, and I would want to get that resolved before trying a trip like that. As other mentioned you will want some back roads to explore, a backup plan to haul your broken bike home and even some scheduled locations by mileage to get at least one oil change in on that trip. I would also make sure you know how to maintain the bike from all aspects including fixing a flat. Best of luck if you go for it!

I was almost killed 3 times in one year on the GSP during my 25 mile commute on my 1200 Sportster.

I have 2 kids in college in NC and take 95 all the time. One minute just south of DC on 95 will be enough to soil your pants on a 250. The twisties near Richmond would be scary too.

Sorry, but I am tainted. I would trust an XR250 over most 250s anytime, only because I owned one. I had changed the gearing, put on Avon Distanzas and it was still not worthy of a trip this long.

Only way I would go is back roads and enjoy the scenery.

• Like 1

I don't see a problem, stay away from interstates as much as possible, and keep max. speeds at around 60MPH.:excuseme:

On 9/11/2018 at 7:27 AM, timbanditos said:

"A 250" can make that distance, but you mentioned you replaced a cam that only lasted 1,000 miles, there is something wrong with that picture. Either it was installed wrong or there are other issues, and I would want to get that resolved before trying a trip like that.

Thanks. I believe I have since worked out the cam-issues. I think the previous owner had been revving out the bike before it was warmed up. He had presumably done this all winter. The oil was even turned gray from condensation when I bought it.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:27 AM, timbanditos said:

I would also make sure you know how to maintain the bike from all aspects including fixing a flat. Best of luck if you go for it!

Good call. I'll definitely practice fixing a flat.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 12:35 AM, Bat24 said:

Any updates?

Thanks for your interest.

Here's the update:

I didn't go… yet. I had basically decided to make the trip; I resolved it would be feasible enough if I rode a little under the speed limit, used the smaller roadways where possible, wore a high-visibility vest, and took the Auto Train to shave off 900 miles. But there was another issue which I had not accounted for, and this is what stopped me; the heat!

I had not considered that the intense Florida heat would greatly limit the use of a motorcycle. I was planning on staying down and using the '250 for commuting, however after reading what many Florida riders say about the hot hot heat down there, particularly in summer, I realized it just wasn't going to be practical; I would need a car once I was there.

Now I already owned a car which needed a lot of work, and realizing I was going to need one either way around, I decided I'd just have to fix it up and use that.

So that's the point I'm at now. If I make the trip, I'll be bringing the '250 with me on the back. I'd still use the Auto Train; it's a huge time saver and it skips the need for an overnight stop/hotel, etc..

It would have been cool to use the bike for the trip, but it will still feel like an adventure, I'm sure!

Thanks again.

Edited by Knobs-on-Asphalt

On September 19, 2018 at 4:47 PM, Knobs-on-Asphalt said:

Thanks for your interest.

Here's the update:

I didn't go… yet. I had basically decided to make the trip; I resolved it would be feasible enough if I rode a little under the speed limit, used the smaller roadways where possible, wore a high-visibility vest, and took the Auto Train to shave off 900 miles. But there was another issue which I had not accounted for, and this is what stopped me; the heat!

I had not considered that the intense Florida heat would greatly limit the use of a motorcycle. I was planning on staying down and using the '250 for commuting, however after reading what many Florida riders say about the hot hot heat down there, particularly in summer, I realized it just wasn't going to be practical; I would need a car once I was there.

Now I already owned a car which needed a lot of work, and realizing I was going to need one either way around, I decided I'd just have to fix it up and use that.

So that's the point I'm at now. If I make the trip, I'll be bringing the '250 with me on the back. I'd still use the Auto Train; it's a huge time saver and it skips the need for an overnight stop/hotel, etc..

It would have been cool to use the bike for the trip, but it will still feel like an adventure, I'm sure!

Thanks again.

One of my friends used the Auto train for his mini van he liked it. He was down in Florida for two weeks and the price of the train off set rental car fees. I drove down to the Keys from NJ in a Honda Fit and the ride is BORING. Riding a 250 seems like it would be fun, but a challenge. One of the biggest things I think about when taking my bike on long rides is what to do if I get a flat.