My Kx250f 2013 is killing my boots

I have kx250f 2013 and ridden it just for 6 hours. Yesterday after my last ride I cleaned the bike and boots and I saw that the bike is killing my almost new tech10. I'm so angry for my boots, they will be ruined in the next few rides. 

The problem comes from the footpeg while I kick it to start.

Does anybody has the same issue? 

IMG_20170319_194906.jpg

I have Tech 10's and when I first got them 6 years ago I was really hard on the right cus I didn't know how to kick the bike over correctly and wore out the inner sole. Basically you should be able to kick start the bike within a few kick's and not have to hit the peg.

Then I do not have really sharp pointed foot pegs cus for me I don't need them and I ride in some super snotty/muddy wet conditions.

Post a pic of your pegs BUT you can use a file or grinder to smooth off the outer couple of teeth on the pegs so they are not gouging into the boot.

Otherwise the nice thing about the 10's is that I sent mine to Alpinestars in California a year ago and they did a full complete resole for $150. IMO the new full soles are better than the original ones and I've got another 6 years on them.

This is the inner wear on the right boot from the kick starter.

20150413_172704_zpsauuzm2nx.JPG

Then with new full resoles

20150526_163450_zps1umwt0ag.JPG

I have used these boots on my previous bike and didn't have this problem. 

The bike starts normally and don't have to kick it many times. 

I will check with Alpinestars Europe, but if you check on my pic you will see that mines are hurt on the sides, which I think is not possible to be replaced. 

This is a problem that can be solved with technique. Just change how you kick the bike. Use your toe instead of the mid boot on the kick pedal (yes, that is what Kawasaki calls it).  :lol:

These bikes don't need to be kicked fast, just get a full kick. Move the kick starter until you resistance near the top of the stroke and give a good full kick. Again, doesn't have to be fast, just a full stroke. Two or three times cold should do it (with idle adjusting screw/choke knob pulled), and one kick when hot. Never touch the throttle.

12 hours ago, LSHD said:

This is a problem that can be solved with technique. Just change how you kick the bike. Use your toe instead of the mid boot on the kick pedal (yes, that is what Kawasaki calls it).  :lol:

These bikes don't need to be kicked fast, just get a full kick. Move the kick starter until you resistance near the top of the stroke and give a good full kick. Again, doesn't have to be fast, just a full stroke. Two or three times cold should do it (with idle adjusting screw/choke knob pulled), and one kick when hot. Never touch the throttle.

Hey LSHD, thank you for your detalied explanation, everything you mrntioned is absolutely right.

The way you have described for cold start of the bike - this is all I do, as I mentioned I don't have a problem with starting the bike, it starts easily.

About the Kawasaki advice for kicking the bike.....that is pitty, it's just like to buy a nice sport car and to tell you - just push the throttle only with your toe :)

I'm really frustrated about my boots I have used them only for 7-8 rides and what I see is the side of the boots can not be repaired :(

Edited by phatsmall
  • Like 1

It's not the bike or the boots. It's your technique. Kick with the ball of your foot. Not the arch. Also make sure you are at the very end of the kick starter to get maximum leverage and clearance from the peg.

Sidi boots have a small replaceable plastic piece on the side of the boot where the peg would usually hit during starting. I like this idea and I wish my Tech 10's had this, but I do not have the same wear as you do, it's all in the technique.

Edited by DCBmx119

When it is my technique, why I didn't have that problem with my previous 3 bikes. 

What I see on the pic is that even if I use the ball of my feet it will ruin the front part of the boot. 

The only way is to place my boot a little bit out on the kickstarter. 

But at the end.....  wtf I have never had ruined boots because of the footpeg, never. 

IMG_20170320_170954.jpg

I have pretty much the same bike and tech 7s. my boots have worn normal. must be in your kick technique

24 minutes ago, phatsmall said:

When it is my technique, why I didn't have that problem with my previous 3 bikes. 

What I see on the pic is that even if I use the ball of my feet it will ruin the front part of the boot. 

The only way is to place my boot a little bit out on the kickstarter. 

But at the end.....  wtf I have never had ruined boots because of the footpeg, never. 

IMG_20170320_170954.jpg

Yes put your foot as far out on the lever as possible, without your foot slipping off of course. This is proper technique. It isn't a 2 stroke, where your foot is basically dragging the side of the bike on the way down.

Try starting a 450F in regular shoes and you will learn proper technique pretty quickly haha.

Hey guys I'm not sure you understand what I'm talking about ?

You all explain about a technique.DCBMx119:

I bought my first bike 6 years ago, and this is my first 250, I always had 450 and I haven't used any special techniques to kick the bike, I have never had 2 stroke. 

And if no one has that issue I'm thinking if the footpegs or the kickstarter lever has been replaced on this bike with non original one -  I bought the bike as second hand. 

I plan a day for Kickstart training....... it will be funy for the people around me. 

i just bought a 2013 kx250f and kicked it with regular shoes on the way I have always kickstarted a bike and it killed my foot, I learned real quick to slide my foot out so it comes down outside the peg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jenglish said:

i just bought a 2013 kx250f and kicked it with regular shoes on the way I have always kickstarted a bike and it killed my foot, I learned real quick to slide my foot out so it comes down outside the peg

That is what I mean! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phatsmall said:

That is what I mean! 

I think that the design of the lever is different than what we are used to, when i kick it now I feel as though my leg is way out but it is still on the lever