What is wrong here??

So I have my new FMF q4 here. Just tried to mount it and the pipe is the same diameter as the header pipe meaning neither slips over the other. 

Seems backwards. My muffler had the bigger diameter so it fit over the header pipe. In this case the muffler is wanting to slip inside the header pipe but they are the same size pipe... Is my header also wrong like the muffler? Or was the header wrong making the muffler line up wrong?

IMG_20170319_113948.jpg

IMG_20170319_113958.jpg

I do remember the previous owner mentioning an eBay header pipe. It looks like a stock one but I can't be sure. The FMF pipe is close to fitting over the header pipe but it isn't big enough. There I'd a visible lip all around. Could be a cheap eBay pipe thats off on diameter 

can you makes some slits to make the muffler slide into the header? Might leak a little. Or run to an Autozone and get a coupler to slide over both?

Edited by slowngreen

1 hour ago, slowngreen said:

can you makes some slits to make the muffler slide into the header? Might leak a little. Or run to an Autozone and get a coupler to slide over both?

Exactly what I did, cut 4 slits into it almost to the collar and then took my grinder to it and removed just enough from the collar end for it to be able to wiggle together with some resistance. Probably doesn't even need silicone with the tight fit but will use it anyway 

EDIT: correction I cut 4 slits in the jacked up header pipe to get it to fit inside the mid pipe instead of cutting my brand new $300 spark arrestor. No point in adapting the right spark arrestor to the wrong header I will replace the header down the line. 

Does look like this may be an 04 header pipe or a eBay copy. But they all look similar. 

Edited by jblob
  • Like 1