Crf 80 has little to now power.

My son has been on 2013 crf 80 for about a yr that we bought brand new and from day one I have always thought it was way under powered. I have heard there is something electronic that cuts the power. I can't find anything about this anywhere.

Well. It is an 80. Not sure what you expecting from a little air cooled four stroke. Remember, it really is just a trail bike for kids. 

But there are some modifications that can be done to help open it up. Search for the xr100 mods. With the exception of netting the same can be done to the 80

I had an old 1975 xr 75 that I had from the time I was 9yrs old until about 5 yrs ago and I'm 43 now and that thing would our run this new one big time. I think the carb on the 75 was a little bigger if I remember right. This 13 is a turd. I will look and see what I can find. I think I'm just going to sell it and get something else

It's only an 80, which is a beginner bike.  Most beginner bikes are meant to last about a year or so.  You can tell if he's ready to move on it he never shuts off through a turn and can bar drag it through a rut.  

Nothing electronic cuts the power on a CRF80. You can make some changes to the carb jetting that should give you a nice increase in power. They come jetted very lean from the factory. Along with the jetting changes you can remove the rubber intake snorkel under the seat. Only do this if you have the correct jetting. You will need to do a search.

A little maintenance will also go a long way. Lube the chain, adjust the valves, clean the air filter, etc...