125 2-stroke vs 250 4-stroke. Which would be best?

I am looking to upgrade to a bigger bike. My current bike is a TTR 125L and I'm looking to get either a yz125 or a yz250f. People keep telling me different things and saying I should get a 125 instead of a 250 and vice versa. I've been riding for a few months and I'm to big for my bike (I can bottom it out on jumps and it feels slow). I will probably be riding a little more trails than track (but both a lot) and also going to the dunes once on a while. Also, I have a low budget. If it helps I'm 5' 8" and 130. Any help is appreciated.

Which bike will you be more comfortable rebuilding. If you ride a lot and rack up the hours at some point you will need a new top end. Look at cost and mechanical ability needed. 

Since you said you have a low budget the yz125 makes the most sense. 

• Like 1

Which bike will you be more comfortable rebuilding. If you ride a lot and rack up the hours at some point you will need a new top end. Look at cost and mechanical ability needed. 

Since you said you have a low budget the yz125 makes the most sense. 

I don't really have much experience on working on bikes but I know basic stuff and know people that know how to do it. Which do you need to rebuild more often and which would cost less to rebuild?

I personally don't like the way that 125 2ts run, but I was also 6' 200 lbs by my sophomore year in school, so I kind of blew right past the 125 stage. 

That being said, there is no denying that the 125 2t engine will be less work and less expensive to maintain, so if the peaky power delivery of the 125 doesn't bother you, it will be a good choice.  

• Like 1

Are all the 125's and 250's pretty much the same and it's just a color difference or are some better than others?

21 minutes ago, FSK_Talon3 said:

Are all the 125's and 250's pretty much the same and it's just a color difference or are some better than others?

There are some brand and model differences. The enduro oriented models are easier to ride. 

For MX, 250f's will be easier to ride, but more expensive to rebuild.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FSK_Talon3 said:

If I was going to buy a used 250f from say 2002 to 2010 and was primarily looking for reliability,   hands down it would be the Yamaha.   Honda (which I own and love) was very late in addressing the valve issue on their rigs.   It can be made into a reliable long running valve train with about 1000 dollars.  If you find a good deal,  say 750-800 on a 2005 honda crf250 then by all means,  buy it and go to someone like fastheads for what is probably the last head and valves it will ever need.   otherwise,   the yamaha is the most reliable of the bunch for my money.   Their two stroke is very good too,  and made as good in the power dept as any of them from 1999 until KTM got serious.  I like my old yamaha 125's,  but if you go for any 125 for the trail,  get a 6 speed rig.  

• Like 1

So it's sounds like I should probably go for a 125 since I'm on a low budget and it is cheaper. I'm willing to learn how to ride with the powerband and just the power itself. Do you possibly know what years have a 6-speed?

• Like 1

If you don't mind the learning curve involved with the 2 stroke, I think you are making the right decision. It is more fun but more difficult. If you are bottoming out your ttr regularly you might be an aggressive new rider who won't flinch at overcoming the little 2 stroke. It will make you a better rider, too.

I wouldn't live and die by the gear box. Try to buy a clean bike that doesn't have too many problems and is as new as you can afford.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FSK_Talon3 said:

So it's sounds like I should probably go for a 125 since I'm on a low budget and it is cheaper. I'm willing to learn how to ride with the powerband and just the power itself. Do you possibly know what years have a 6-speed?

Yamaha had 6 speed gear boxes until the 2002 model year,  and put the 6 speed back in with the 2005 model  year.  In 1998 Honda began putting 5 speed gear boxes in and left it that way .   Right around the time Yamaha was sending 5 speeds KTM decided to join that and they stopped about the same time so check that on any KTM's from 2002-2004 too.   Suzuki and Kawasaki haven't put 5 speed gear boxes in their 125 mx bikes in over 30 years.    What I wouldn't live and die by or even lightly consider are people who tell you it is too difficult to learn one or the other is too heavy etc or will be too maintenance intensive.  Lots of us learned to ride on things that were way more user UNFRIENDLY than any of the big fours 125cc two strokes.  Lots of us learned to ride and maintain things that make any of the 250fs'   look quite reliable.  

So shop until whatever you find is a good deal/value and then decide what you need to make it right for you if need be.   

So my dad wants me to get a 250 because he says that 2-strokes lose control easily. I tried to tell him all of the pros but he says i can ride a 250 for a year then decide. It sounds like 125's are more fun so that's what I want. Is there away to convince him to get a 125 instead of a 250. Or should I just stay with the 250 because I will probably own it longer?