A tiny, peppy dual-sport to push my riding limits on

I've done a small bit of sumo/flat track and want to develop some dirt skills for the street. This weekend I rode one of those silly little electric pit bikes, and got to the point where I was approaching turns at full throttle, locking the rear, back on the "gas" at the right time, etc. I made progress. Low speed, low seat height, low weight all helped.

Later I hopped back on my XR650L commuter and tried it again, didn't feel particularly in control anymore.

So I'm looking for a cheap, small, peppy bike to ride like a dumbass on the weekends. Needs to be street legal (or commonly converted) b/c I don't own a car and live in the city. I do this kind of practice in abandoned parking lots or any dirt stretches I can find, so theres always the chance of police attention.

A TTR 125 (if they were street legal) would be close to perfect.

What used bikes fit the bill?

Probably perfect for what I need, would just need to find one plated already since I'm in CA.

There are all manner of strange plated bikes on CL, it's just hard to predict what plated dirt bikes will be on there in a given week. The factory plated models are more predictable to find.

17 hours ago, turnhair said:

Probably perfect for what I need, would just need to find one plated already since I'm in CA.

There are all manner of strange plated bikes on CL, it's just hard to predict what plated dirt bikes will be on there in a given week. The factory plated models are more predictable to find.

keep an eye on the classified sections here on TT, supermotojunkie, planet mini...etc. 

What about a grom? That might be easier in CA