DRZ Conked Out After Sitting In Rain

Okay so I had to leave my bike out in the rain today for about 8 hours. I started it up and it rode fine for about 10 minutes, afterwhich the bike started bogging down a little and not running smooth for about 1KM. The bike then just conked out and stopped all together. Note I was riding on the road when this occured, not going through deep puddles or anything so I'm doubtful that its the carby breather hose

Is their any electrics up in the headlight shroud that could possible cause this if they got wet? I know I need to heatshrink a few joints up there (Headlight/blinkers) but I didn't expect them to make the bike conk out completely.

Otherwise I'm going to assume it's got something to do with the spark plug and moisture. Do you guys insulate your spark plug in some sort of non conductive grease or something?

Thanks a ton fellas!

Okay so I had to leave my bike out in the rain today for about 8 hours. I started it up and it rode fine for about 10 minutes, afterwhich the bike started bogging down a little and not running smooth for about 1KM. The bike then just conked out and stopped all together. Note I was riding on the road when this occured, not going through deep puddles or anything so I'm doubtful that its the carby breather hose

Is their any electrics up in the headlight shroud that could possible cause this if they got wet? I know I need to heatshrink a few joints up there (Headlight/blinkers) but I didn't expect them to make the bike conk out completely.

Otherwise I'm going to assume it's got something to do with the spark plug and moisture. Do you guys insulate your spark plug in some sort of non conductive grease or something?
Thanks a ton fellas!

Electronics all go off as well?

Could be anything. First make sure your battery is good and fresh. Then work from the battery to the plug. Check kickstand sensor, killswitch. If you have any exposed wire connectors go through and spray them with a small bit of wd40. Pull your plug and see if it's wet. Put fresh gas in the tank it might have gotten water in there somehow. Hope this helps. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad battery.

• Like 1

Mine sits outside at work when it rains and/or is raining when I leave , mine has stumbled a bit and run rough here and there due to water getting somewhere but it never died. I have gone through almost all connections and filled with dielectric grease plus inside the sparkplug boot to keep water out . The coil may need it as well or a silicone spray over everything to repel water.

• Like 2

just for the heck of it drain your float bowl .. on my stock S moisture seems to find its way into the tank very easily im pretty sure through the gas cap and it will make a 'puddle' in the bowl and cause problems ..

Spray aerosol silicone into the key switch, switch is not water proof and the key flap can hang open.  Some electronics stores have an aerosol "Tuner Tonic" for switches and contacts.

• Like 1

Alrighty lads. I started it up the next day and it kicked over perfect like normal. Not sure what the issue was, but I'm going to take all your tips and use them as precautionary measures to try avoid it happening again. Thanks fellas!