WR400 5th only swap help

Hey all,

Had a problem with 3rd feeling like it was slipping ouit all the time - sure enough the shift shaft was bent a bit (possibly hit something while in 3rd I suppose??) and has caused a bit of damage with a selector fork (though the gears look ok).  Im going to renew the fork and Ive read that I should replace the corresponding gears so will do.

I got a wr400 5th gear ans pinion for £10 off ebay and wanted to use it and know that some people have done the swap.  i have uploaded an image of what gears/pinions I thought I would need to swap for 5th.  Can someone tell me if its the right ones?

Red (1) is 5th pinion and red (4) is 5th gear.

Ta lads.

gears.jpg

Edited by nath125

It is hard

4 hours ago, nath125 said:

Hey all,

Had a problem with 3rd feeling like it was slipping ouit all the time - sure enough the shift shaft was bent a bit (possibly hit something while in 3rd I suppose??) and has caused a bit of damage with a selector fork (though the gears look ok).  Im going to renew the fork and Ive read that I should replace the corresponding gears so will do.

I got a wr400 5th gear ans pinion for £10 off ebay and wanted to use it and know that some people have done the swap.  i have uploaded an image of what gears/pinions I thought I would need to swap for 5th.  Can someone tell me if its the right ones?

Red (1) is 5th pinion and red (4) is 5th gear.

Ta lads.

gears.jpg

It is hard to pass up a cheap gear!!  I have had a brand new in the wrapper oe yamaha wr250f mainshaft.  Someone had it becaused he believed the ebay ad and I gave him 15$ for it since he couldnt return it.  bought it just because after riding a 250f I told myself if I ever bought one of those I was going to turn it into a wr.   Since you are changing out 3rd,  and have the 5th gear half "done" are you thinking of changing 4th too? so that your top three are all from a wr?

• Like 1

I bought a 06 complete transmission for £100 a while back as a spare so will use that for the 5th swap.  I would have done the 3-5 but dont have the funds.  Im hoping to be happy enough with just the 5th swap.  I only use 5th on a long run between destinations.

Thanks for the comments peeps