Oil Consumtion?

I got a 2007 YZ450F that I got from a buddy of mine, seeming no body has raced it and it hasn't been ridden hard at all I waited to change the oil in it when I got it from him. When me and him changed it about 15-20 hours ago we put a little over a quart I believe I know we needed 2 bottles. Today I decided seeming I got used to it and have been riding it a little harder, and that I was planning to get on the track next time I take it out I was gonna change the oil, I caught all the oil in a oil jug and it's only like a half a quart, you can't smell any oil burning when it's running and the bike still runs very very good, also the plug isn't black, there is oil coming from the large hose on top of the head cover though but doesn't seem like much has come out there. Any help would be appreciated, I know it's a 2007 and from the people my buddy got it from last year they probably rode it pretty hard, so I am curious as to know if it might be ready for a rebuild. I know a decent amount about 4 strokes but I have been riding 2 strokes up until I got this bike from my buddy. Any help is appreciated.

You can expect to burn up to 5cc per hour on even a brand new motor, if ridden hard. An older motor will burn more.  15-20 hours between oil volume checks is way too long. More like every 5 hours check and every 10-15 hours replace. You need to download a factory service manual from Yamaha's web site and follow the service interval recommendations for the top end. 

• Like 1

You can expect to burn up to 5cc per hour on even a brand new motor, if ridden hard. An older motor will burn more.  15-20 hours between oil volume checks is way too long. More like every 5 hours check and every 10-15 hours replace. You need to download a factory service manual from Yamaha's web site and follow the service interval recommendations for the top end. 

Appreciate that info, I have a service manual saved in my phone I will keep checking it from now on, picked up a hour meter to help track it. How long should I expect a 450 engine to last, no metal shavings or anything was in the oil or the oil filter but just out of curiosity, i rebuilt a ttr 225 that was spitting oil past the rings a few years ago. I plan on rebuilding it when it's time any things I should look out for, I know when things go wrong on a 4 stroke engines can get destroyed, all my 2 strokes just stopped running when the rings quit sealing.

I got a 2007 YZ450F that I got from a buddy of mine, seeming no body has raced it and it hasn't been ridden hard at all I waited to change the oil in it when I got it from him. When me and him changed it about 15-20 hours ago we put a little over a quart I believe I know we needed 2 bottles. Today I decided seeming I got used to it and have been riding it a little harder, and that I was planning to get on the track next time I take it out I was gonna change the oil, I caught all the oil in a oil jug and it's only like a half a quart, you can't smell any oil burning when it's running and the bike still runs very very good, also the plug isn't black, there is oil coming from the large hose on top of the head cover though but doesn't seem like much has come out there. Any help would be appreciated, I know it's a 2007 and from the people my buddy got it from last year they probably rode it pretty hard, so I am curious as to know if it might be ready for a rebuild. I know a decent amount about 4 strokes but I have been riding 2 strokes up until I got this bike from my buddy. Any help is appreciated.

Change your oil and filters often and the bike should last a long time.

Change your oil and filters often and the bike should last a long time.

Okay, going from a 125 2 stroke to a 450 is not easy, but I am slowly getting used to it, the arm pump is ridiculous but it's slowly getting better, I had just gotten to the point since I started riding again that I could ride all day without my hands hurting, going to the 450 it's started all over again. I appreciate all the info.

1 hour ago, XAaronJohnstonX said:

Appreciate that info, I have a service manual saved in my phone I will keep checking it from now on, picked up a hour meter to help track it. How long should I expect a 450 engine to last, no metal shavings or anything was in the oil or the oil filter but just out of curiosity, i rebuilt a ttr 225 that was spitting oil past the rings a few years ago. I plan on rebuilding it when it's time any things I should look out for, I know when things go wrong on a 4 stroke engines can get destroyed, all my 2 strokes just stopped running when the rings quit sealing.

That motor can last 400 hours or 100 hours depending on how you take care of it. 

You need to learn how to properly service an air cleaner, first and foremost, then change your oil often along with the oil filter.

That motor can last 400 hours or 100 hours depending on how you take care of it. 
You need to learn how to properly service an air cleaner, first and foremost, then change your oil often along with the oil filter.

I got a k&n on it, clean and oil it after every ride, gonna start changing my oil every 2 rides after this oil change seeming a ride last about 5 hours for us.

I got a k&n on it, clean and oil it after every ride, gonna start changing my oil every 2 rides after this oil change seeming a ride last about 5 hours for us.

Change it every ride. Even if it's just the engine side you'll be glad u did later. It's just 1 liter of oil not too much $. Maybe get a stainless steel filter too and clean it when u change oil. Transmission side can be every other ride. When you pay for a top end rebuild on a 4T you'll be wishing u had just changed the oil more often. Oil makes the biggest difference in the life of your engines.

29 minutes ago, XAaronJohnstonX said:

Take the K&N filter out, walk over to a trash can, and thow it away.

That is a tarmac (no dirt) filter ONLY.  Get a real filter from Twinair, Uni, etc. 

The K&N passes dirt particles that are too large for use in the dirt.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ryan760us said:

Change it every ride. Even if it's just the engine side you'll be glad u did later. It's just 1 liter of oil not too much $. Maybe get a stainless steel filter too and clean it when u change oil. Transmission side can be every other ride.

There is no separate transmission oil supply.  If you use an oil that provably has the ability to maintain its viscosity when used in a gearbox, you can change the oil as little as every third ride.  If not, or if you don't know for certain, then every ride.  Get a Scotts stainless oil filter and clean it with every oil change. 

• Like 2

There is no separate transmission oil supply.  If you use an oil that provably has the ability to maintain its viscosity when used in a gearbox, you can change the oil as little as every third ride.  If not, or if you don't know for certain, then every ride.  Get a Scotts stainless oil filter and clean it with every oil change. 

Okay, I just finished changing it, and got my hour meter set. I mostly been riding trails until I can get used to it, every time I get on a track I feel like my hands are falling off. So I am gonna stick to every other ride changing the oil. Anyone got any tips for problems endowing, I was fine on my 2 stroke but this 4 strokes a different beast. Some jumps get me sometimes.

Check the MX Riding Technique forum here at TT.  Because of their engine braking effect, dropping the throttle on a 4-stroke causes a much more pronounced effect on the bike.  Even running over 4-5" tall stuff in the middle of the desert.  Hit stuff like that with the throttle closed (or while braking), and the tail will kick up rather vigorously.  Hit it under a little power, the back end stays down where it belongs much better. 

With jumps, if you're used to rolling off the gas at the lip, you're going to have to re-train yourself not to do that as much.  You don't necessarily want heavy throttle, either, but you'll want to teach yourself to roll back the gas less completely, so that you find the right amount of drive off the top to end up with the attitude in the air that you were looking for.