2017 500 EXC- Valve Adjustment

I have a shop manual on order (arriving Thursday) but I would love to get the valves done tonight. Anyone have the printouts for the valve adjustment procedure for the 2017 500 EXC? I can't find anything online. Thank you in advance. I hope I am not violating any rules by asking, since I just want a few pages. 

The repair manual tells you to pull the camshaft to make any adjustments but I only had to change one exhaust shim so I pulled the rocker shaft instead, which is easily found on youtube.

Yeah that is the manual I purchased on ebay. The seller shipped right away. Ordered Sunday night and it was in the mail Monday morning. 

I like youtube but there wasn't a detailed one for the 2017. I like to follow the manual to the letter. 

the nice thing about the 500, you don't have to touch the cam chain or the cam. I would disassemble so you know what shims are in there.

LINK below

Edited by Spud786

You guys won't believe this. I emailed the ebay seller as a hail mary. I let him know I bought the book and waiting for delivery and that I need to adjust my valves before a ride on Saturday. I asked him if he could send me the pages needed, but didn't expect a response. He called me! I guess ebay sends him my number or it's on my shipping info. 

He sent me everything I needed. He just wanted to help a fellow rider out. Real nice guy. Just thought you guys should know about a seller you can support. 

• Like 2

how about a couple close up pics when your doing the valves. Jeez I havnt had a 4str since '09 ...maintenance was a beer  clean the filter and check the tires on the 2 smoker

Edited by Airboss/oc

19 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

how about a couple close up pics when your doing the valves. Jeez I havnt had a 4str since '09 ...maintenance was a beer  clean the filter and check the tires on the 2 smoker

Maybe, if I remember. I kinda get into the zone when working on a bike. Ask my wife, 5 minutes in the garage is actually an hour. Couple hours is actually the entire day. 

Somebody has a good youtube video on exactly this, his 1 hr valve check.  I just checked mine without the manual, just going by the info in the video and felt comfortable with the procedure.  Mine were just barely on the tight side but it sounds like many are really tight from the factory.  He shows you how to measure the shims and do the math to get the right ones if you are out of spec.  Search 2017 500exc valve adjustment.  Doesn't look like you should have to mess with the camshaft, just rocker arm shafts if you need to change shims.

Edited by bronc
  • Like 1

Valves are in spec. I watched the video and then followed the manual. I have checked valves many times but that was easy to get at and quick. A few were on the tighter side and few on the looser but in spec. I'll likely have to adjust the next time, which should be quick as well. 

Thanks everyone.

Edited by TriumphTriple

excellent pics thanks. I been running the 2 smoker so long forgot how pretty these new valve trains are. please keep posting hours and adjustments :thumbsup:

At the one hour check(1.3 actually) I had one exhaust valve just barely out of spec(.18mm when spec is .12-.17mm). The other was .16mm and the intakes were perfect at .12mm and .13mm(spec is .10mm-.15mm).  Now the spokes on the other hand, smdh.

Ktm specs are so tight, only one shim size will work, you actually have to be out of spec to correct.