Hello,

although I've lurked TT for a while, I finally signed up and this is my first post.

I have a 1999 TTR225 that was given to me.  I'm the third owner of this thing, and I believe the first to do any kind of maintenance.

It came home not running, and I changed the oil, pulled the carb, and repaired the wiring.

The carb diaphragm cover had a hole worn in it from rubbing on the frame, the air box was warped and full of mud, and the bike was generally in bad shape.

2CF08144-E36D-4B4A-87EB-FA8E62863143.jpg

I've since gotten it running, but I am having some carb issues.  The snorkel has been removed from the air box, and a used FMF slip on that I repacked is installed.  I have a 132.5 main jet and a 42.5 pilot jet installed.  The pilot screw is set at 3.25 turns.  The needle only has one position.

31B1B53F-F5A3-4934-A25C-04A43CCFDB3A.jpg

The bike idles and starts pretty well, and I know I need to go up on the pilot, but when you blip the throttle, it wants to die.  If you slowly roll the throttle it well rev okay, same once you get the revs up.  I runs great at WOT, but at part throttle it sputters.

I have a video of what it's doing, sorry for the sideways recording.

Carb cleanings are always in order,  along with resetting the float.  So think about that before you buy anything.  I think if I wanted to ride it before I got around to that I would back out the fuel screw a bit and see what that yields.   The rule of thumb is that you don't back it out past three turns.  The screw will fall out.   So you get to three turns and buy a  larger pilot jet.   If you get it to run good with it screwed further out and want to do something like Gorilla tape the fuel screw until you have a pilot jet,  I have had success with that FYI.

Your needle may be one you can use some tiny washers etc to shim and raise up.  Some of the ways they are retained prevent that though.  

Getting the right pilot may do what you want in the midrange settings as well though. 

The carb has been cleaned several times since I thought there may have still been some crud stuck in a port somewhere.

The float has been set.

I've ordered more jets, and have the carb apart right now.

I'm not completely sure that jetting is the problem though since stock is 130/40, but I can't seem to find anything wrong or out of place.  I'm baffled.

pilot is too small, if you need 3.5 turns out on the FUEL screw (not an air screw)

Main jet is too big, as it sounds very rich.

Edited by Krannie McKranface

How is it for winding out on top?   Worse or better than with the stock looking exhaust?

Hard to tell, the last time I rode it with the stock exhaust, the carb had a hole in the diaphragm cover.

So not much to compare it to.  How does it wind out now?   

It does great in the upper RPMs, maybe a little lean.  I saw a little white smoke Saturday when I tried to blow it up in the driveway.

Once you get past the initial sputter, it takes off all the way to rev limiter like a champ.  If you feather the throttle from idle, it'll rev too, just not from an idle.

12 minutes ago, honda cr500 said:

I see your problem it's your gas cap!

So, I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but my uncle said something about the gas cap too.

What's wrong with it?

So, I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but my uncle said something about the gas cap too.

What's wrong with it?

I was joking I didn't see a hose connected to it but that doesn't matter and I seen a guy on YouTube that was talking about that as a joke like gas capes increase hp and make you a better rider

1 minute ago, honda cr500 said:

I was joking I didn't see a hose connected to it but that doesn't matter and I seen a guy on YouTube that was talking about that as a joke like gas capes increase hp and make you a better rider

I kinda thought it was a joke.  I have a little piece of hose with a cap on it somewhere, it just hadn't found its way on there yet.

My uncle on the other hand, was pretty insistent that it needed a hose on the cap to run right.  I just shrugged him off with a "yeah, yeah, I'll do that and let you know if it fixes it".

Well it needs a vent,  but the hose is kind of nice too,  as you know what it will help keep out.   Heck,  I had a shop tell one of my friends that the wrong oe cap could cause his bike to seize.   In a round about way,  yes.  Scares the bejesus out of people though.

1 hour ago, OleKennyRoy said:

It does great in the upper RPMs, maybe a little lean.  I saw a little white smoke Saturday when I tried to blow it up in the driveway.

Once you get past the initial sputter, it takes off all the way to rev limiter like a champ.  If you feather the throttle from idle, it'll rev too, just not from an idle.

It  doesnt sound like it is too rich off top.  I am guessing you are going to like it better about two sizes up on the pilot jet.   

• Like 1

A richer idle can help it. A big gulp of air at the wack of the throttle will lean bog on many bike models. This  is why some carbs have accelerator pumps. Many bikes will lean bog if you try to, but yours sounds magnified. But you will likely make it better but don't expect to get it all out. You quickly learn to roll on the throttle since whacking it has no real application. A rich bog will stutter and overcome. A lean bog will bog out. Partly blocked jets will cause a lean condition which may give some lean popping. These lean symptoms you don't seem to have except the lean bog. I agree, larger pilot needed and main sounds big. When buying your jets, stay with one brand, preferably oem. Sizes are not always standardized. Focus on the pilot and the bog. Get it better, report back, and we will help you dial in the main lastly

Edited by 1gr8bldr

I'm kind of curious why the main jet sounds too big?  I'm a sea level, FMF Powercore 4, and the snorkel is removed from the air box.

Here is what is listed in the service manual.  I've only gone up one size.

XT225Carb.jpg

2 hours ago, OleKennyRoy said:

I'm kind of curious why the main jet sounds too big?  I'm a sea level, FMF Powercore 4, and the snorkel is removed from the air box.

Here is what is listed in the service manual.  I've only gone up one size.

XT225Carb.jpg

Your probably fine. It sounds big to me in comparison to other equal size bikes. For example, a honda 230 dials in at 120 on the main. But pay that no attention. 

It's fixed as far as I'm concerned.

I went up one on the pilot to 45, and replaced what I thought was a Mikuni 132.5 with a Mikuni 132.5 main jet.

The main jets that I ordered from RM ATV/MC were after market. The orifice in the orifice in the 132.5 EBC jet was actually smaller than the one in the stock 130.

I'm now at 2 turns on the pilot screw, and it's like a whole different bike. It'll bring the front wheel up in first and second, and has no hesitation when riding.

• Like 1