Wheel wobble/ Broken Spokes

I noticed my sons rear wheel wobbling on his TTR 125 LE. Upon checking it out I noticed that he had a number of broken spokes (5 or 6 maybe). Would this be the source of the wobble? It seems to be. Or did the wobble cause the spokes to break? Or did one break and the small wobble broke more spokes? The wheel seems secure on the axle and there don't appear to be any other issues other than the broken spokes.

If I buy the kit and replace the spokes do I need to remove the tire? If so, I guess I need some tire spoons. Any other special tools I might need? 

Thanks in advance. 

You'll want to remove the tire and rim strip.  Spray some penetrating lubricant on each nipple (both sides).  You can try just replacing the broken spokes but you'll most likely have to purchase an entire $90 kit (approx./guess cost) to get the 6 spokes.  You may find someone selling a few spokes on ebay.  There will probably be 2 sizes of spokes.  My guess is that the entire wheel needs to be trued and all spokes retentioned.  Take it to a shop for that work - $30 labor would be my guess.

Before you do any work I would inspect the spoke holes at the hub.  If the bike has been ridden with lose spokes, then the hub may need to be replaced.  Instead of a "hole" it will be elongated.

Ugh. This bike has been problematic to say the least. I am sure with my current luck on this bike that the holes are elongated.  

On the TTR-230 the hub is only available from Yamaha and is like $250 + spokes + labor to rebuild.

If it is bad then maybe you can find a wheel in good condition on ebay.  My bet is that the wheel spoke tension has not been cared for and the hub is toast.  But, will hope for the best for you.

And you'll also need a spoke wrench.  Don't know the size off hand for that nipple.

I hit Doraville Motorcycle at lunch and they had the spoke set for the bike at just under $60. A little high, but once you add shipping to an online order and I can get it right away... not bad. If you live anywhere near Doraville GA  this place is great for Yamaha parts and service. It's like going back in time to a 80's part shop. He has bike diagrams on microfiche.

Anyway, took the wheel off, removed the broken spokes. Hub looked ok to my untrained eye, not out of round and the holes did not appear elongated. I replaced the broken spokes and loosened all the spokes and then tightened just enough until the wheel didn't wobble (I wanted to start from scratch due to the questionable nature of previous care).Then I put the wheel back on the bike and built a rig on the side with a clamp and a metal pointer to true the wheel. It worked pretty well. I was able to true the wheel down from an obvious left/right wobble to just where the pointer scraped the rim all the way around. Tightened all the spokes by doing every 4th one in sequence. Checked for true again. Adjusted some spokes. Took the wheel off, put it back together and then back on. Seems to work fine. Time will tell. 

Sounds like you did a good job with the project. I remember hitting that shop with my old man back in the early 70s. Good to learn it is still there. I remember it being a mess to walk into.