I've never ridden much on the roads,

More of a dirt biker. Where I live the roads are in rough shape so I thought a duel sport would be a good bike to start with. Any ideas on what I should get?

It would be good to start with what you have ridden and what your expectations of a dual sport would be. Big difference between a KLR650 and a TW200

Maybe a converted dirt bike might be best if that's possible in your state.

First consider your weight and height, then where you will ride and what you will carry. Then look for a bike that fills your needs. I've got a 08 crf230l for in town and gravel roads, and just bought a 15 dr650 for town to town and gravel roads. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 190#, been riding 52yrs.,  either bike will work within it's intended purpose.   joe

from low power and seat heights to higher power output and seat heights:

Yamaha TW200

Beta 125 RR-S

Yamaha WR250r

KTM/Husqvarna 350

KTM/Husq 500/501

these are all good choices but nothing alike.

It's up to you what you like best.

If you need super long engine maintenance intervals and don't mind the added weight and older technology,

the Suzuki DRZ400S and the Honda/Suzuki 650's are solid platforms. the KLR650 too, but the fairing makes it more adventure bike than dirt slinger

I got a wr250f slapped some plates on it and I'm golden. Cab use around town or streets up to 55 (it's capable of more then that but I like my top end idk about you) and can still tear up the mountains.