Sherxo long (ish) term report

I've had my 16' factory model 300sefr for not quite a year now. It has right around 50hrs of A rider abuse on it. I still have an emotional love affair with the bike.

Since buying it I have only needed 2 factory parts, the small magnet on the rotor that the speedo reads fell off. Could have been anything that took it out. And the second I rounded a bolt head on 1 of the 3 valve cover bolts during the first clearance check, my fault for not using the correct tool.

I have gotten a handful of back up parts, sprockets and bits to try with a decent response time for shipping. 

I thought I'd blow off the trail once and ended up in the sticks which pulled the bolt out of the plastic radiator shroud but a washer on both sides did remedy that.

Other than that, nothing has broken, fell off or anything. It's a well built machine.

I've held her pinned wide open for long distances during enduros all the way to barely moving in tight woods on 89 deg days with no issue. The first valve check at 15 hrs I shimed the two exhaust valves which were in spec but tight, at 30hrs nothing and will be ready for another check and would bet a very small shim on 1 or both intakes will be in order but again would guess they are in spec still.

Bike Handles like it's on rails, super light, lots of power (I'm 225lbs). It shines in the tight but can hang with 300 2 strokes in the open ( went up a tooth on front sprocket! 73mph on speedo). Nothing matches how smooth it is, and when people say they could ride it all day, believe them!

I have a 17' factory 300 2 stroke on its way and can't wait to see how it go's!

Very happy customer!

Previous bikes have been:

16 yz250x 

16 husky te300

14 husky fe350

14 Italian husky cr165

14 &13 Italian husky wr300

11 husaberg fe570

08 kx500 af

Edited by chums179
Additional info
  • Like 2

I had about the same experience with my 2014 and just sold it at 150hrs. running strong. Valves never moved after first adjustment and the one issue I did have Sherco and the US importer stepped up and fixed it for free at 2 years old (90hrs). I now have a 2017 6 days, I just finished set-up and waiting suspension, the overall build is much better then the 2014. Based on the extra girth of the plastic the bike gained several pounds. Only complaint so far is that the sub frame needs to be lifted slightly to get the shock bolt out. This requires the tank off which is a PITA to remove the fuel line (same as all years). After I get some time on the bike I will do a review between the two bikes.

Sherco 2017.JPG

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

I have a local Beta dealer that has some of the best pricing you can get and I chose Sherco,, twice now. I also had a 350rrre with my Sherco and all but one person picked the Sherco as the better bike. Only place where the Beta shines is transmission ratio, Beta has a wider ratio suited for DS/desert type riding. The new Beta's are better then the one I had but still not up to the overall package the Sherco has. Beta's 2t are more inline with the feel of the Sherco's 300i.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Thanks for posting Chums. I am still undecided on either a Beta 390 4t or the Sherco 300 f 4t. 

No problem, I have no direct experience with the 390 but my dealer is a beta dealer also and after his son rode my sherco he went directly into the shop and traded his efI 350 beta for the sherco 300f and loves it. I did ride the 430 beta and we did a drag race at 100yrds and my 300f  was nose to nose with the 430 when the 430 was in soft map. The 300f feels much lighter than either bike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

The main advantage I see on the Beta 390, it's street legal out the door. 

Theyve caught on around my parts and wont license either bike unless the 390 is a true dual sport

Theyve caught on around my parts and wont license either bike unless the 390 is a true dual sport

What the hell does that mean? They come with everything except blinkers and a mirror. It is a dual sport.

I've had my 16' factory model 300sefr for not quite a year now. It has right around 50hrs of A rider abuse on it. I still have an emotional love affair with the bike.
Since buying it I have only needed 2 factory parts, the small magnet on the rotor that the speedo reads fell off. Could have been anything that took it out. And the second I rounded a bolt head on 1 of the 3 valve cover bolts during the first clearance check, my fault for not using the correct tool.
I have gotten a handful of back up parts, sprockets and bits to try with a decent response time for shipping. 
I thought I'd blow off the trail once and ended up in the sticks which pulled the bolt out of the plastic radiator shroud but a washer on both sides did remedy that.
Other than that, nothing has broken, fell off or anything. It's a well built machine.
I've held her pinned wide open for long distances during enduros all the way to barely moving in tight woods on 89 deg days with no issue. The first valve check at 15 hrs I shimed the two exhaust valves which were in spec but tight, at 30hrs nothing and will be ready for another check and would bet a very small shim on 1 or both intakes will be in order but again would guess they are in spec still.
Bike Handles like it's on rails, super light, lots of power (I'm 225lbs). It shines in the tight but can hang with 300 2 strokes in the open ( went up a tooth on front sprocket! 73mph on speedo). Nothing matches how smooth it is, and when people say they could ride it all day, believe them!
I have a 17' factory 300 2 stroke on its way and can't wait to see how it go's!
Very happy customer!
Previous bikes have been:
16 yz250x 
16 husky te300
14 husky fe350
14 Italian husky cr165
14 &13 Italian husky wr300
11 husaberg fe570
08 kx500 af

Hi mate thanks for the good read

When are you receiving your new factory 17 ?
Have you test rode one yet what do you think of the new forks?

4 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

Hi mate thanks for the good read

When are you receiving your new factory 17 ?
Have you test rode one yet what do you think of the new forks?

I have actually changed my order to the XC model as it was more what I was looking for, I will hopefully have it in 3 more weeks or so..

• Like 1