Gear shift drum

So I've been experiencing a hard shift issue. I had to really push/pull on the shifter to get it to shift. Well anyways, I just swapped out all 3 shift forks. Now I've got the cases back together, the bike was shifting nice and smooth on the 12mm drum bolt. It shifted smooth right up until I installed the ratchet pawls/ guide plate and the shifter shaft. 

It is possible the guide plate, and or the 12mm drum bolt is some how tweaked and deformed?

There isn't any oil in the case, but I put it together with assembly lube. I can't see a lack of lubrication being an issue?

ANY guidance is appreciated!!

20170320_140602.jpg

20170320_140533.jpg

20170320_140456.jpg

Edited by AlotL1keVegas

It's possible your shaft is bent? Did it slide in nice and easy? It may stick up or down if it's bent. This may not be your issue.

No, it went in nice and smooth. I actually got it off ebay because the original one was bent. Chain jammed between that and the case when the lower end locked up and grenaded. So I ended up having to start fresh and rebuild a new engine. 

Is it possible this shaft is from a 450? Is there any difference between the 2? 

Edited by AlotL1keVegas

In this picture you can see a gap between the guide plate & ratchet mechanism, and a gap between the ratchet mechanism & the shifter shaft. Is there supposed to be gapping like this? Or is everything supposed to be nice and tight? 

Oddly enough, when I push everything together tight and/or bump the gold bushing with the palm of my hand, and light pressure on the shifter, it shifts nice and smooth like it should! 

I know when I put the right case on, it will push on the shifter shaft itself, but I was holding the end of it with my finger. I almost wonder if the flat part of the shifter shaft is bent a bit to the right, preventing it from holding the ratchet mechanism in the drum tight like it should. 

What do you think?

*Edit* I know it's definitely something in the clutch side of the case. The only thing I can think of at this point is that the ratchet mechanism, and the right end of the drum are not matched. I used the old ratchet part in a different bottom end. Literally only thing I can think of at this point

20170320_160506.jpg

Edited by AlotL1keVegas

Check the part number of your year for the shifter shaft. I see that the newer 2010+ crf250 have their own shaft. Other than that, sorry I don't know.

My old engine was a 2005. The chassis is a 2005. The new engine I got, and rebuilt is a 2006. Pretty sure the 04-07 250r's are the same, minus a couple small things like the right crank seal, and one of the other seals. Im going to order a new shift shaft, shift collar, and a new guide plate, new pawl plungers, and new springs and see if that remedies my issue. 

Like I said, I find it real odd that when I tap the gold collar with the palm of my hand, and with pressure on the shifter, it shifts smooth. If I try to shift it with just the shifter, it won't budge unless I really bang on it. Weird

Edited by AlotL1keVegas