Leaking forks while compressed

Hello,

Took my bike out for a ride yesterday, and notice that the forks are leaking while compressed with tie downs.

Its leaking dark oil substance and im not sure which part its leaking from but its on both sides as I notice 2 puddles in the trailer.

It doesn't seem to leak once its back on its original state.

I sprayed wd 40 on it the day before and not sure if that is the cause of it. Probably not as its leaking more than I sprayed, but i dont know!

Where is that leak coming from based on my description?

Edited by J.Quest

Uh, yes, wd-40 eats rubber.  You get to replace your seals now.  

Do yourself a favor and throw all your wd-40 away because it isn't good for anything. 

• Like 2

It makes no difference if you are riding or the bike is tied down, each bump compresses the fork, what air is inside compresses, the pressure rises and if the seals or tubes are bad, they will leak. Simple physics. Get your forks serviced.

3 minutes ago, William1 said:

It makes no difference if you are riding or the bike is tied down, each bump compresses the fork, what air is inside compresses, the pressure rises and if the seals or tubes are bad, they will leak. Simple physics. Get your forks serviced.

Is this what I will need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-and-Dust-Seal-Kit-56-135-Yamaha-YZ250-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-/332000779554?hash=item4d4cc9dd22:g:pEAAAOSw241Yclvt&vxp=mtr

2 minutes ago, J.Quest said:

If you are a gambler.

I only buy OEM fork seals as they are a known quality. Off brand cheapo places, well, you often get what you pay for.

• Like 1

just buy some fork bleeders and bleed the air once the forks are tied down and in transport. Then when you are ready to ride kick the bike back on the stand so the front wheel is in the air and bleed the forks again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bowser said:

just buy some fork bleeders and bleed the air once the forks are tied down and in transport. Then when you are ready to ride kick the bike back on the stand so the front wheel is in the air and bleed the forks again.

life changing, thanks

2 hours ago, J.Quest said:

life changing, thanks

well if it isn't leaking under normal riding conditions the fork seals can't be that bad.

It's a public forum, if you don't like the help offered why bother asking for it....

Just now, bowser said:

well if it isn't leaking under normal riding conditions the fork seals can't be that bad.

It's a public forum, if you don't like the help offered why bother asking for it....

I was actually being genuine,

I never knew or thought about fork bleeding. It doesn't leak while riding, only when its being compressed with tie downs.

I just done some research on the procedure and am definitely going to give it a try. Hope it helps, thanks