Very little change w air screw adjustment? 300xc

Hi All,

I just bought a 2011 300 XC with gnarly pipe and fmf scilencer. Its my first two stroke and I'm loving it so far.  I'm currently working out some jetting issues and I am pretty close to getting it dialed in for my elevation. I am wondering about the air screw adjustment on this bike...  I don't seem to be able to lean the air screw enough to get the thing to act lean (almost stall) when I crack the throttle?  I have it backed out 3 turns and it won't go any further.  I do notice that when I screw it in it acts more rich to the point of bogging at about 1.5 turns in or so. It has a 35 pilot in it.  Is this an indication of float level being too high?

For the most part I seem to be running pretty rich and have dropped to a 160 MJ and the L needle dropped all the way. Its running great at this setting with only a tiny stutter at about 1/8" of throttle when cruising down the road at moderate speed.  Dropping the needle to the 1st position helped this tremendously but it is still there.  I'm unsure if this is a two stroke phenomena or not?  The settings I'm at seem to be two notches lower than the stock chart and one jet lower.  Its pretty dang good but I have some spooge coming down the exhaust still which is surprising considering I should be on the lean side of things I would think...

I am at 5000' and about 70 degrees.

Can anyone lend some insight?

Normally the rule of thumb with pilot size is if you are under 1 full turn out on the air screw go up one size, over 2.5 turns out go leaner one size.  Of course start back over with A/S after the change - set correct idle speed and 1.5 out is a good starting point when swapping to a different pilot size.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikek671 said:

Normally the rule of thumb with pilot size is if you are under 1 full turn out on the air screw go up one size, over 2.5 turns out go leaner one size.  Of course start back over with A/S after the change - set correct idle speed and 1.5 out is a good starting point when swapping to a different pilot size.

It sure acts like I need to go one size down on pilot but in reading over the forums/jetting databases, I am at the lowest pilot jet size already that I can tell. Seems like I should be able to lean it out and get it to fall flat off idle with that pilot size (35).

Raise the  needle diameter and try it. It will lean the idle. 

If you are far off and running the slide high (idle screw) the AS loses its impact.

A loose squish can easily ruin low rpm running. 

• Like 1