Supermoto tires in dirt

Obviously street supermoto tires will never be good in the dirt. But i still enjoy riding with them in the dirt. I was wondering if i should be changing the tire psi for dirt riding. Will this make them preform any better than they do a street levels? What psi would be a good level to increase there performance in dirt?

Thanks

Going down should help in theory. Problem is you're starting with a tire without anything to bite into the dirt. If you want any noticeable improvement, try different tires. Otherwise just ride

• Like 2

Depends on what PSI you are starting at. When I race supermoto we usually start 20-22 cold. Much less than streetbikes because they are lighter and speeds are generally lower. If you are closer to 30 psi lowering a bit may help a little. Try it and see but I would not go anywhere near thw 10 - 14 I run on real off road tires.

Something in the low 20s sounds about right; I don't think I ever bothered lowering my pressure when spending weekends desert riding on YZ250 with a 160 slick and a 120 rain on the front.

You have some fairly low sidewalls, and stiff as they are, with all of the irregularities off-road, the tires will see a lot of action.

A short story: I left camp and rode to top of a nearby butte. While sitting on top I attempted to roll the bike a little bit and it was difficult enough that I started looking for the reason why. I saw my front tire had gone flat, but since I could see camp and it was a fairly short distance - maybe half a mile - I decided to just ride it back. When I got there, the tire was too hot to touch. Significantly hotter than I can remember getting it at a race. Granted the tire was flat, but I was pretty shocked at how it got from the short ride. After that I never bothered lowering pressure, especially with slicks.