Early 2000s KX250F vs newer KX250F?

Hi all,

I am looking to get a new dirt bike for general riding.  No racing, probably won't even be ridden very hard, just putzing around with friends.  Having said that, how big of a difference would I notice between, say a 2003 KX250F and a 2015 or 2016 KX250F?  I'm thinking in my case, probably not enough to justify spending about $1500 to $2500 more on a newer bike, but I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on it. 

My only other dirt bike right now is a 76 KT250... it's a dual shock and tends to get stuck in the mud with my large body on it if the mud is sticky... haha!  It's also a little bit of a collectors item, so I'm wanting a different bike to ride with friends and not have to worry about breaking something that will cost a ton of money to replace, if I can even find it.

Thanks,

Brandon

1st gen KX250f is one of the worst bike ever made. Run away very fast. I am.amazed any of them are around and still running.

• Like 4

There wasn't an 03 KX250F.
The KX/RMZ250F was released in 2004. Most 250F's have increased in horsepower greatly over the years. For example, the YZ250F has increased nearly 25% in horsepower since it's inception.

Any older 250F would be a poor choice if your looking for something cheap and maintenance free. Depending on your riding ability, I'd recommend either a 2 stroke or a trail bike like a TT230 or something similar in nature.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys.  I feel like 25% increase in horsepower would be largely lost on me as I'll just be trail riding with friends.  I'll check out a TT230 and steer away from the older KX250s.  I've got a 76 KT250, so I'd feel most confident with another 2 stroke.  We'll see what I find, though.

Brandon

20 hours ago, OrangePeeled said:

Thanks, guys.  I feel like 25% increase in horsepower would be largely lost on me as I'll just be trail riding with friends.  I'll check out a TT230 and steer away from the older KX250s.  I've got a 76 KT250, so I'd feel most confident with another 2 stroke.  We'll see what I find, though.

Brandon

Ok, initially you said 03 KX 250f, which as Ohio mentioned doesn't exist.  Older KX 250's (two stroke) are great bikes.  Which are you talking about?  

Stay away from the TT-r and CRF 250, 230...terrible bikes.  Only good for going slow all the time, unless that is what you're looking for.

Thanks, poldies.  I'd be fine with a 2 stroke.  However, I'm looking pretty close at the WR250F.  It looks to be a great fit for what I need.

Brandon

• Like 2

The yamaha wrs' were all great rigs.  so far that 250f five valve headed bike is the most reliable.     good choice. 

• Like 1

Thanks!  I'm feeling pretty good about it.  All things seem to point to it being a great fit, and at $2k the price is hard to beat, too.

Brandon

What year is the WR?

I'll preface what I'm about to say by stating I have a 2014 YZ250F just so you know I'm not a 4 stroke hater.

I'm very hesitant to recommend 250F's to people in the used bike market. The reason being they are basically throw away motorcycles imo. If you were unfortunate enough to have the WR grenade, it could cost close to 2k to rebuild the engine. Factor in the other common wear items that usually need replaced on a used bike such as chassis bearings, suspension service, and all the nickel and dime odds and ends, it just doesn't make much sense to own one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

What year is the WR?

I'll preface what I'm about to say by stating I have a 2014 YZ250F just so you know I'm not a 4 stroke hater.

I'm very hesitant to recommend 250F's to people in the used bike market. The reason being they are basically throw away motorcycles imo. If you were unfortunate enough to have the WR grenade, it could cost close to 2k to rebuild the engine. Factor in the other common wear items that usually need replaced on a used bike such as chassis bearings, suspension service, and all the nickel and dime odds and ends, it just doesn't make much sense to own one.

Good thought... it's a 2003 that I'm currently looking at.  Some things have happened in my personal life that have given me pause to buying a bike right now, so I'm probably not going to get that specific one, but the WR250 is still at the top of my list.

14 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Yamaha 250F, kdx200, yz125, cr125, etc.

Thanks!  I'll dig into those, too.  I'm also still considering an older 2 stroke KLX250.  

Brandon

Thanks!  I'll dig into those, too.  I'm also still considering an older 2 stroke KLX250.  
Brandon

All klx were four stroke except the 50cc model they let Suzuki make for a while. A kdx250 was made from 91-94 and it's a two stroke. The 96-98, 99, 03, and 04 KX250 makes a great woods bike but it's not beginner friendly.