Salvage Vehicle Inspection - Revoke CA plate?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of California-specific information for a particular scenario, and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere. I am the owner of a '95 XR600R that I bought with a CA plate a few months ago, and so far I've been loving it. Unfortunately, last week I was in an accident on the street where a car turned in front of me, and both the bike and car took some damage. I'm doing fine (and I'm not at fault), and the bike is going to be inspected in the near future by the insurance company. I'm preparing for the worst case (total loss) since the bike is older and most likely not worth much in the eyes of an insurance company, so my question is this...

If the bike is deemed a total loss (claim agent said it's likely) and I buy the bike back, could my California plate be revoked when I get the CHP salvage vehicle inspection? I would not be happy if my dual sport gets turned into a dirt-only salvage vehicle after this whole mess, so I'm wondering if anyone has an answer. Also, does the CHP inspection require a speedo to make salvage vehicle "road worthy" again?

You will probably be fine.  Isn't' the 600 older than the 2003 law that CARB started?

My 600 is a 1995, and it was plated before the 2003 cutoff which makes me think it's ok, BUT on the vehicle inspection form it shows that the emissions stickers need to be verified. The 600 has no emissions stickers since it was not sold for road use. See section 8 of the pdf.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/052f05b3-ea4f-4cde-b017-3d970b8ea1a4/reg31.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=052f05b3-ea4f-4cde-b017-3d970b8ea1a4

If it comes down to it, should I try to negotiate with the insurance adjuster to keep the damage cost below the total loss threshold?

It is what it is...  the worst thing YOU can do is act jumpy...  be weird...  nervous and such.  It's a street plated VEHICLE now.  You simply bought it back as salvage after an accident.  Go in thinking that and forget all these details.  Git-R-done by being cool headed...  know you are in the right... and answer any questions in simple, DIRECT terms...  and don't give the CHP or DMV any reason to suspect you are trying to play anyone.  If someone asks about it being formerly a dirt bike just answer directly.  "It was when it was made...  but it was converted to street bike long before the cut off"  ...and STOP.  Don't talk yourself OUT of your plate.

You have a street title IN HAND...  you have the matching STREET BIKE per the title.  This goes smoothly unless you muck it up.

Best of luck.

• Like 4

Or just fix it and ride it, pass on filing a claim and ending up with a salvage title. And if the other person's fault perhaps they would be willing to avoid a claim against their insurance, and cough up a couple hun for your troubles.

Bruce

Edited by BDM
  • Like 1

Jeff, that's probably the best plan of attack if it's considered a total loss.

Bruce, it was definitely in her best interest to file a claim since the driver side door and the front bumper got munched pretty good. It's kinda funny since you could almost see the general contour of my right leg in the dent on the door...

I'll see what the insurance adjuster says the repair bill would be, and go from there. The bike is made to crash so I'm not totally worried about it , but I do want my helmet to get replaced. Time for an upgrade! 

Sounds like no matter what happens it's best to play it cool  B)