KDX 200 head mod

My brother was looking for a step up from his xr200 so I steered him in the kdx direction. He found a nice 200. It has a gnarly woods/pc2 silencer.  I removed the air box lid & jetted it. Also installed weight appropriate springs & did the shim stack mod. Bike runs pretty sweet he's just a short shifter & would have probably been better suited to the 220. I mentioned getting the head modded & some reeds for a little more bottom end. Anyone have any experience with the rb head mod on a 200? Does it make a noticeable difference?

Edited by bigmatthew46
Miss spelling

No on the RB head work for that one.   If it is worn enough,   simply over boring it and having the head sized for it will make it a short shifter's dream,  with the added advantage that it has a larger carburetor than a 220.  It worked really well for a young woman I know.  EGorr was reasonable,  but unless his is worn enough like hers was,  you hate to do that to a nice cylinder.   maybe borrow it?

ossa was talking about the cylinder not the head.  you could correct the squish on the head (RB can do it).  it would clean it up a bit and maybe boost the low end some, its a pretty cost effective mod usually less then $50 for the head to be cut.  reeds wont make much difference unless the ones in there are damaged.

Yes I know he was. The cylinder is perfect & has a new weisco so there won't be any boring right now. I was talking about the $50 head mod for a 200. Seems that & carb are very popular for the 220 but not a ton of info on the 200. Having the 35mm carb I don't see having it done. Just trying to boost the low end a little.

Emailed RB & the man himself said the head alone on the 200 won't do much. He suggested the carb mod. In the meantime he picked up a del needle & a 152 main. It's running 155/42 stock needle 2nd clip & is still a little rich on the top end. We'll try to jet it a little cleaner & then he can decide if he wants to spend the money. I have to swap bikes with him sometime to blow it out for him. I don't mind.

20170318_185941.jpg

Nice bike , Here is my 2 cents on more low end ,  same bike 95 bought new never change the needle you have , your jetting should be close go third clip ,make sure you air fuel screw is adjusted I live  above you here in NC , should be around 1.5 to 1.75 turns out . What oil ratio are you running 32-40-50-100 to 1 . Any way on my bike for cheap low end you can do 12 or 11 front sprocket , 11-47 , 12-50 dose reel good did the 11-47 for many years, the Jeff FRD pipe ring gives alittle more , get the 607 dual stage reeds makes big difference , moose reed spacer or you could make 1/4 for reed block , and last free mod on the stator advance the timing 1/6 to 1/8 past the timing mark , hope this help , If he does not like the bike , I would like to have it for a spare.

I did the RB head and carb mod and installed it as delivered. It was a significant power boost but more of a mx type delivery. Had a bog off of idle and used twice as much gas. Not good for woods riding but would be fun in open fast riding. I changed the jetting and put the stock needle back and I like it much better. It is a good but not dramatic power increase, sort of like when you replace the stock pipe with fmf knarly.