2016 YZ450F 4-6 Kick Starts?

I just picked up a new 2016 YZ450F this weekend.  I'm coming off a 15 Husky FC450 so I'm a spoiled rider who used to have the easy button.  One thing I'm surprised about is that the bike take 4-6 kicks to start when it's both cold and when it's warm.  Is this normal?  I'm going to be adding a PR2 ECU for next season later this fall but again, I'm surprised it's so hard to start in stock form.  Any quick fixes for this?  Even when I take the time to find the top of the stroke before kicks it takes 4-6.

The "hard spot" IS NOT TDC.  It's the start of the compression stroke.  Be sure to begin the starting kick from there, and don't go searching for the actual top dead center position of the crank, because for one, you'll go past it (and then the crank has to go around twice to get another chance to fire), and it won't help the bike start.

The problem with this misnomer being used is that some people know what TDC actually means, and when they listen to people who don't know the difference between compression and TDC, they get fouled up by trying to find it and start the bike from that point.

• Like 2

Grey's right, I always started at where I would feel compression.  Should have re-worded that.  So that is more like being in the neighborhood of TDC.  But nonetheless, I would always start from this point.  Anywhere else you would just be kicking and wearing yourself out.  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 4:06 PM, TN Dirt Rider said:

My '14 takes 3 kicks cold, 1-2 warm. Maybe need to adjust your technique.....idk.

Same here on my '16.  Mine also starts in gear after a stall, 1-2 kicks.