Hi everyone, I just recently bought a 2005 CRF250X with 96 hours on the stock motor. Rode it allele bit when I got home and began realizing its got some issues. When I got it it was harder to start than it seemed like it should have been, and I just figured it was the carb needing cleaned as it hadn't been ridden very much the past two years. I have put about 4 hours on the bike since I got it, and gradually it has been getting harder and harder to start. It is mostly harder when hot but also when cold. The people told me the valves had been adjusted in the last two years but did not have any proof of it. Is the hard starting a sign of the valves being shimmed enough to sell then after I've ridden it for a few hours going out completely? Or could this be that the carb is in fact very dirty and needs re-jetted to make it run correctly, the people did say it was running rich and can tell as once and awhile it blows black smoke. And it blows a slight bit of blue smoke start up so wonder if ultimately it needs a full rebuild and if so what the cost of this would be? Any help is appreciated, thanks. 

Sounds like textbook worn valves/ seats to me.  My bike did nearly the same thing when I bought it.  I checked the valves and they had been shimmed to the max point.  I ended up getting a new head from Fastheads.  I ended up going stainless for both intake and exhaust and haven't had any problems.  Also a good idea to be doing the cylinder/ rings and the timing chain while you have the top end apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smithjNW said:

Sounds like textbook worn valves/ seats to me.  My bike did nearly the same thing when I bought it.  I checked the valves and they had been shimmed to the max point.  I ended up getting a new head from Fastheads.  I ended up going stainless for both intake and exhaust and haven't had any problems.  Also a good idea to be doing the cylinder/ rings and the timing chain while you have the top end apart.

What was the total cost on all this? and would you recommend crank/bottom end as well?

The complete head I bought was $600 though they'll do a rebuild for $400.  There's tons of places specializing in this kind of work.  I just went with the place recommended by my local Honda shop.  

I think I spent just shy of $850 for parts to do the head, piston and cam chain.  I had some experienced help so I was able to avoid paying a shop to do the service.

Unfortunately it's probably the valves as has been said.   In general, you get about 100 hours on the stock valves.  The good news is if you go SS, you'll get 300+ and you'll have a fresh top end and be confident where things stand.

As for the crank, I would check it out and see if it's in service limits or not.  It should be as cranks last a lot longer then valves, but it you don't know what it's been through.  Also check the oil carefully for any yellow bits.  If you see any replace the crank or have it rebuilt.   The thrust washers are the only thing that are yellow in the motor, so if you see that, the crank is going.

Sucks to buy a bike and be right into some hefty ($$)  work.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jim Dettman said:

Unfortunately it's probably the valves as has been said.   In general, you get about 100 hours on the stock valves.  The good news is if you go SS, you'll get 300+ and you'll have a fresh top end and be confident where things stand.

As for the crank, I would check it out and see if it's in service limits or not.  It should be as cranks last a lot longer then valves, but it you don't know what it's been through.  Also check the oil carefully for any yellow bits.  If you see any replace the crank or have it rebuilt.   The thrust washers are the only thing that are yellow in the motor, so if you see that, the crank is going.

Sucks to buy a bike and be right into some hefty ($$)  work.

Jim.

Would I just check the motor side of the oil or the crankcase side? And would I just need to drain these and look at the oil?

And yes it does. I got a fairly good deal on it so that helps. At least when I'm done I will know what I have in there. 

Thanks