Riding Gear

Cycle gear, have a store close, they carry more gear than any motorcycle shop in the area, good stuff, good prices, it's tough to buy gear without trying it on first, so a lot of stuff in stock is nice.  I've been riding with a Joe Rocket mesh jacket in hot weather, then zip in the waterproof liner if I get caught in the rain, or on a cold morning, only really good for mid 50s on up.  Picked up a Bilt Vortex "adventure" jacket a few months ago and LOVE it, is configurable to be good from around freezing to mild summer days in the 80s, got it on sale for $120, and worth every penny.  The freeze-out liner is very warm, along with the storm collar it's sufficiently warm with good coverage to ride on Winter days or in heavy rain.  Zip out the liner, remove the collar, open the vents, and it's comfortable on warmer days, might not be ideal for riding on a hot summer day, but have the mesh jacket for that.  Has a ton of storage with a good pocket layout, good protection, and flexible panels to keep it from being restrictive.  There are a lot of straps and clasps to adjust fit, especially useful when going from the bulk of a few base layers and a liner in winter to just the shell over a long-sleeve T-shirt in warm weather.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-vortex-waterproof-jacket-1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alucard0822 said:

...ideal for riding on a hot summer day, but have the mesh jacket for that. 

You got my attention alucard0822..., curious what mesh jacket you have. 

Joe Rocket/Power trip  Gauge.  It has mesh arms in addition to a mesh body, has good forarm/elbow, shoulder and back CE panels, rib and lower back padding and a waterproof liner.  It is actually cooler in really hot weather than riding in a T-shirt, being it keeps the sun off of you, and slows airflow enough to you so you don't get windburn.  The mesh is tough, and not really prone to snag on stuff, it's 2 layers of mesh, mostly opaque, so it doesn't have the weird "see through" look.  Only has 2 pockets, so can't bring much with you without a pack, but being a lightweight summer jacket, it's fine.  Only thing I don't care for is the waterproof liner, it's thick, stiff and has no airflow,  It does work if you are caught in the rain or on a cold morning, but has a "plasticy" feel that sticks to sweat and isn't all that comfortable, it also seems to be sized small compred to the jacket, so where the XL jacket fits me fine with a little room to spare, the liner makes it a bit too tight.  It wasn't an expensive jacket at $100 on sale, so I can live with a liner I rarely if ever use, being the jacket is awesome in hot weather.  

Was looking originally for a Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion, a little bit more expensive, but has a couple more pockets including a lower back pocket, separate vest/sleeve liners, better adjustments, just couldn't find one locally, and liked the Gauge jacket well enough.  There is also the Alter ego 3, was a bit out of my budget at the time, but is possibly the most versatile street jacket there is, it's a good mesh jacket like the Pheonix, has a fleece vest liner and a waterproof OUTER shell with more pockets.  Unlike most jackets where the armor and main jacket are an outer shell with bulky inner liners adding water/wind protection, the mesh liner IS the main jacket, then the outer shell adds on for cooler weather or rain, and you can add a fleece liner for a bit more warmth.

http://www.joerocket.com/mesh-jackets/gaugemesh

http://www.joerocket.com/mesh-jackets/phoenix-ion

http://www.joerocket.com/textile-jackets/alter-ego-30

Edited by alucard0822
  • Like 2

Alright folks I'm in the market for a new riding jacket for the 2017 season. Looking for some input on what you like and what you don't like. 

I have to say for the money the Joe Rocket ballistic 14.0 adventure jacket with liner is a great jacket. It is waterproof, warm, has good armour and decent pocket storage.

I have a Bilt brand mesh/leather combo armored jacket that I wear in the summer. Got it on sale at Cycle Gear when I first got my bike. I have crash tested it at 45 MPH high side. Landed on my left shoulder and head. The shoulder armor saved me from any sort of breaks or fractures. Ended up with a bruised shoulder and a bit of rash where my jacket pulled up when I started rolling across a gravel driveway. My biggest complaint is the back pad isn't removable and it's a foam one but it still did a good job in the wreck...

• Like 1

I ran across a good sale on a Klim Lattitude. It vents very well and completely water proof. It's very tuff and a bad @$$ jacket almost to the point of overkill ... :lol: 

I have the Fox Titan for hot weather but, I pretty much gave it to my boy so I might have to buy another ... maybe I will get him the black one ... :excuseme:  or maybe a lightweight sportbike jacket like the Icon or Joe Rocket... :thinking:  

klim-latitude-jacket-34593.jpg

16fox-titan-sport-jkt-wh.jpg

16fox-titan-sport-jkt-bk.jpg

28201660.jpg

Edited by gnath9

20 minutes ago, gnath9 said:

I ran across a good sale on a Klim Lattitude. It vents very well and completely water proof. It's very tuff and a bad @$$ jacket almost to the point of overkill ... :lol: 

klim-latitude-jacket-34593.jpg

Overkill, yep, until you go down at any real speed. Plus who doesn't love goretex.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RudeJeepin said:

Overkill, yep, until you go down at any real speed. Plus who doesn't love goretex.

Yep .... it's full of armour and fells like you sould slide a while on the pavement. Has lots of vents and surprised me how cool it can be in the heat. It is also very heavy but, it's pretty made for Baja and while expensive I do not regret buying it as it makes an awesome outer shell for cold weather riding. 

Klim stuff is expensive but you can see it in the quality and just based of the impression I have from the jacket and pants I have .. I would love to check out their new Dual Sport helmet with built in Sena ... :thumbsup: 

klim_krios_sena10_u_stealth_helmet_matte

klim_krios_sena10_u_stealth_helmet_zoom.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-krios-sena-10u-stealth-helmet

Edited by gnath9

2 minutes ago, gnath9 said:

Man is this thing a good looking helmet or what .... 

Klim-Krios-Helmet-2.jpg

Good looking yes, but can you shut off the vents. Look at that chin vent.

I know around here, there are times when you want the vents closed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RudeJeepin said:

Good looking yes, but can you shut off the vents. Look at that chin vent.

I know around here, there are times when you want the vents closed.

My new Suomy helmet vents do not close but I have a cold weather helmet if needed ... The Suomy is pretty darn awesome as it is super light and has very little drag

Image.ashx?oid=35429&type=p

• Like 1

I gotta stop coming to these forums, almost every time I do I become dissatisfied with something in my arsenal and want to upgrade. Those are nice helmets.

• Like 2