The "I ride single track" thing

<rant>I'm pretty tired of the, I guess you would call them snobs lacking any better term, that PROCLAIM that "I ride single track".  Damn, big fricking deal, so do I, but I also ride atv trails, double track primitive dirt roads and occasionally will blast down a backhills dirt road.  These guys that say single track like it is some form of higher existence just piss me off, its cool, but... If all you ride is single track then you are missing a good part of the experience of riding a dirtbike. ;) </rant>

I just had to get that off my chest. :smirk:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EDIT:  Apparently some folks don't know a joke when they see one, so I guess I better clue those in that don't get it. :blink:

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

I understand

I ride single track 

Sure Quad routes, Jeep roads and even chip sealed forest road's are used as transfer section's.

The issue is the loss of single track. By redefining terms; such as Jeep trail (road or two track), Quad trail (Quad route, two track). Many rider's today have never experienced single track. The map's and "trail" signs identify two track as "trails".

This has been successfully used in Travel Management decisions to close single track. For example, a great single track trail runs parallel to a forest road. If you identify the road as a jeep trail, no need to designate the single track. The decision maker does not ride, they see only a large number of available miles for ohv use. For example a forest provides 1500 miles of "trails". This number does not provide enough information to the non riding decision maker to know if one's area provides adequate mileage. Is it 1500 miles of passenger car roads, Jeep roads, Quad routes or single track?

Very few green or easy single track trails remain. Most have been poached by Quads and/or bladed by Trail tractors. The entry level rider is introduced to these routes and has no knowledge of what a real trail is. Work's great for land managers, the entry level rider has never experienced trail riding and is never exposed to the loss, aka closures. The same entry level rider likes the bladed routes. And the MX rider on a 450 moto bike loves the bladed routes. And the jumps/waterbars. A moto track in the wood's. Most do not have the skill to ride a 450 moto bike on a technical single track trail.

Most single track trails are multiple use and hikers, mountain bike rider's, Equestrians may use the trail. Single track reduces trail speeds, bike's are more likely to be on the pilot jet, than the mainjet, think less sound...Lower speeds are safer, less likely to have a head-on collision...

In Idaho, 200-300 miles of single track is being converted to Machine Groomed Quad routes each year. Big deal, right? Well in ten year's, that is 2,000-3,000 miles. Twenty year's and you have lost 4,000-6,000 miles of single track.

It took twenty year's in California to convert entire trail networks to tractor "trails" NOT!

Perhaps your riding has not exposed you to the tremendous loss in single track opportunity. I am writing comment's on two Travel Management plan's now. The best alternative reduces ohv routes by more than 50%. 340 miles are identified as ATV/UTV. Yet, most are single track trails. The trail rider loses, even if one's favorite trail is designated. As one's favorite single track will be mapped and signed open to Quads.

I am all for Quad routes, however, I oppose Quads poaching single track, or land manager's converting single track to Quad routes. Build a new Quad route, great. But this is not occurring in too many cases.

So you keep on hating on those of us engaged in the fight to keep trails open and legal. Some entry level rider's do gain the skills and confidence to ride/enjoy the challenges presented by a technical single track trail. Sad how many rider's will never experience legal single track.

1 hour ago, Dave Wood said:

Sure Quad routes, Jeep roads and even chip sealed forest road's are used as transfer section's.

The issue is the loss of single track. By redefining terms; such as Jeep trail (road or two track), Quad trail (Quad route, two track). Many rider's today have never experienced single track. The map's and "trail" signs identify two track as "trails".

This has been successfully used in Travel Management decisions to close single track. For example, a great single track trail runs parallel to a forest road. If you identify the road as a jeep trail, no need to designate the single track. The decision maker does not ride, they see only a large number of available miles for ohv use. For example a forest provides 1500 miles of "trails". This number does not provide enough information to the non riding decision maker to know if one's area provides adequate mileage. Is it 1500 miles of passenger car roads, Jeep roads, Quad routes or single track?

Very few green or easy single track trails remain. Most have been poached by Quads and/or bladed by Trail tractors. The entry level rider is introduced to these routes and has no knowledge of what a real trail is. Work's great for land managers, the entry level rider has never experienced trail riding and is never exposed to the loss, aka closures. The same entry level rider likes the bladed routes. And the MX rider on a 450 moto bike loves the bladed routes. And the jumps/waterbars. A moto track in the wood's. Most do not have the skill to ride a 450 moto bike on a technical single track trail.

Most single track trails are multiple use and hikers, mountain bike rider's, Equestrians may use the trail. Single track reduces trail speeds, bike's are more likely to be on the pilot jet, than the mainjet, think less sound...Lower speeds are safer, less likely to have a head-on collision...

In Idaho, 200-300 miles of single track is being converted to Machine Groomed Quad routes each year. Big deal, right? Well in ten year's, that is 2,000-3,000 miles. Twenty year's and you have lost 4,000-6,000 miles of single track.

It took twenty year's in California to convert entire trail networks to tractor "trails" NOT!

Perhaps your riding has not exposed you to the tremendous loss in single track opportunity. I am writing comment's on two Travel Management plan's now. The best alternative reduces ohv routes by more than 50%. 340 miles are identified as ATV/UTV. Yet, most are single track trails. The trail rider loses, even if one's favorite trail is designated. As one's favorite single track will be mapped and signed open to Quads.

I am all for Quad routes, however, I oppose Quads poaching single track, or land manager's converting single track to Quad routes. Build a new Quad route, great. But this is not occurring in too many cases.

So you keep on hating on those of us engaged in the fight to keep trails open and legal. Some entry level rider's do gain the skills and confidence to ride/enjoy the challenges presented by a technical single track trail. Sad how many rider's will never experience legal single track.
 

Dave, Dave, Dave, I meant this as a joke.  And I guess you don't know me, I spent a good part of the past 20 years professionally fighting land closures.  I am the last one to "hate on you".  You need to lighten up and think before putting fingers to keyboard.  I'm not giving you my name either, a few here know who I am.  I spent a lot of time handling threats of bodily harm from eco-nazis a while back.  Some of what I did was instrumental in getting some pretty heavy procedural changes in a couple federal agencies. ;)

 

EDIT:  Take a look at the first reply in this thread, it will tell you where I'm coming from:

 

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

I vaguely remember riding single track. I tried to ride single track on the weekend but its still a sloppy, snowy, slushy, icy mess.

Even with studded tires I was happy as hell even getting in 5th and ripping the living crap out of the bike on a dirt road :)

Edited by filterx

only good single track is a trials section and loop !

I like to ride zero track so that makes me superior to all of you.

I've never even heard "single track " until I joined here a month ago.  Took little while to figure out lol :ride:

I tried some real single track recently, not friendly to heavy guys on mx bikes.

I usually just refer to it that way because it sounds cooler than saying I ride trails.

I say it as a form of public admission that I lack the balls for high speed trail riding. I can have a great time working a singletrack trail while rarely exceeding twenty miles an hour. Super fun, and much less risky. Oh, the shame.

13 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

<rant>I'm pretty tired of the, I guess you would call them snobs lacking any better term, that PROCLAIM that "I ride single track".  Damn, big fricking deal, so do I, but I also ride atv trails, double track primitive dirt roads and occasionally will blast down a backhills dirt road.  These guys that say single track like it is some form of higher existence just piss me off, its cool, but... If all you ride is single track then you are missing a good part of the experience of riding a dirtbike. ;) </rant>

I just had to get that off my chest. :smirk:

Where have you been? Are you really that old?! Single track is played out, everyone rides single track. I only ride game trails now. If you don't ride game trails, you don't really know how to ride, you're just a poser who thinks they can ride. &%$#@!ing game trails buddy, thats where its at. I also enjoy the smell of my own farts 

 

Single track, the least of the dust, track, offering more shade to the sun conscience rider. Harder to pass without the passing lane of DBL track. No coolers or radios allowed on the trail. That, for the ATV trails only. Higher wait time for emergency situations. 

2 minutes ago, SenorThumpy said:

Where have you been? Are you really that old?! Single track is played out, everyone rides single track. I only ride game trails now. If you don't ride game trails, you don't really know how to ride, you're just a poser who thinks they can ride. &%$#@!ing game trails buddy, thats where its at. I also enjoy the smell of my own farts 

 

At Devil Mountain last summer we ended up on what was most likely a game trail, and turned into a gnarly mess. :facepalm: We were nearing the top of the mountain on the ATV trail (a gnarly, rocky mess itself) and were looking for this new single track that was supposed to have opened up recently.  We found this trail going off from a clearing, so being avid single track seekers we decided to go down it.  It ended up going down a very steep, very wet, rooty mess.  It took us probably near half a mile before it dawned on us that :doh: this was not the trail we were seeking.  It was a bitch getting back up, slippery roots and mud and a 45* slope make for some difficult riding.  The lack of a trail marker should have clued us in. :rolleyes:

We never did find the trail we were looking for because about that time the clouds and thunder were rolling in.  We hooked it back down the atv trail until it crossed the road and then blasted the rest of the way down to the truck on the FS road.

11 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

At Devil Mountain last summer we ended up on what was most likely a game trail, and turned into a gnarly mess. :facepalm: We were nearing the top of the mountain on the ATV trail (a gnarly, rocky mess itself) and were looking for this new single track that was supposed to have opened up recently.  We found this trail going off from a clearing, so being avid single track seekers we decided to go down it.  It ended up going down a very steep, very wet, rooty mess.  It took us probably near half a mile before it dawned on us that :doh: this was not the trail we were seeking.  It was a bitch getting back up, slippery roots and mud and a 45* slope make for some difficult riding.  The lack of a trail marker should have clued us in. :rolleyes:

We never did find the trail we were looking for because about that time the clouds and thunder were rolling in.  We hooked it back down the atv trail until it crossed the road and then blasted the rest of the way down to the truck on the FS road.

Ahh yes, ever hopeful that a new trail actually is a trail. I've gotten myself into a couple weird spots chasing what I thought was a new trail to explore. Those super steep muddy rooted up climbs are the only times I start considering a rekluse 

"To go where no game has gone before", LOL, bet you all will be glad when I get over the flu and back to work

32 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

"To go where no game has gone before", LOL, bet you all will be glad when I get over the flu and back to work

Funny, work is the only place I really have the time to be on here

I ride,,, therefore I am...

What's single track?:ride: I just stare at my bike in the garage because I don't want to get it dirty!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now