11 hours ago, Gorilla monsoon said:

Has anyone ever plugged in an automotive a/f ratio gauge on a bike for tuning?

I have many post on this with pics on the 230 forum

• Like 2

Here is the link with pics. Also see Carb experiment to see how I used it trying to dial in a UFO.

start at the bottom and work back

They, the AFR meters are extremely educational. I went from not knowing the exact details of carbs to experimenting with all sorts of ideas. Even cutting slides. Most interesting was tuning a carb on an ATV that I snorkled. Results were opposite of what the entire net said it would be once I dialed it in. No guess work, no listening, no timed runs, instant display with zero lag time. I have 5 with bungs and 5 bungs in the wait for a machine to play with. Lots of satisfaction in knowing you jetting is perfect. Once you can see exact AFRs then you step another step forward and realize in conjunction with a temp gauge, how AFR effects temperature. LOL, then, I moved on to piston wash which is more of a 2T thing

Edited by 1gr8bldr
  • Like 1

Of all the things I don't have access to right at the moment I think i miss that the most.    It does dispel lots of assumptions,  like the snorkel mentioned.  

I just used a coupling to join the header to the mid-pipe... drill a hole and weld a nut... I use the LM2 from innovative...

you can reference rpm, afr, and temp... more if ya have other sensors...

I race a yz250f in kart racing... and use a 38mm SBN carb on the motor...

How far after the head/exhaust port are you welding in the bung? I suppose in my case a 2 into 1 head pipe I should install at collector for a more accurate reading...? I have heard in automotive that putting it on one bank should work but idk about that.

I put mine after the header and before the mid-pipe... mind you my mid-pipe is only 12" then the muffler...

You can get a adapter and read each cylinder if ya want... $$$

i run a turbo on the car and each side goes into a collector then there is a splitter in the pipe for each bank to feed the double scroll in the turbo... then exits into the exhaust then about 18" I put the sensor for afr...