Jump to content

Ktm guy looking at the 250x

Recommended Posts

I know this has been discussed many times but let's do it again. 

I've been on KTM for the last 2 and a half years now put about 400 hours on them. My 2 bikes are a 2013 150sx that's setup for enduros and a  2016 250xcf that's my Harescramble bike.

I really like my 150 for the tight singletrack but I'm ready for some more power.

I've been looking at 250 2st. I'm not sold on staying with ktm. 

This bike would be used for  northwest singletrack, sprint, isde and timekeeping enduros. 

My question is has anyone switched from a  recent ktm like 2012 and newer over to the 250x.

How do the bikes handle in the slow tight twisty root filled trails. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your 250xcf turns inside the YZX.

Any reason not to go with a 350xcf if it's power you're missing? Price?

The YZX is going to be a great affordable bike but compared to a new KTM she'll be a little behind the times. No 6spd, no e-start and I always felt the YZ to be a lethargic when it comes to turning. Also, I think the aluminum frame of the YZ is a bit stiff for offroad but the suspension makes up for it a bit... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Monk said:

Your 250xcf turns inside the YZX.

Any reason not to go with a 350xcf if it's power you're missing? Price?

The YZX is going to be a great affordable bike but compared to a new KTM she'll be a little behind the times. No 6spd, no e-start and I always felt the YZ to be a lethargic when it comes to turning. Also, I think the aluminum frame of the YZ is a bit stiff for offroad but the suspension makes up for it a bit... 

I actually love the power of my 250xcf.  For my skill level and terrain the power is perfect. I just want a 2st to compliment the xcf . I'm just looking at my options. I'm getting mixed reviews from my friends on the ktm air forks plus the jetting . Maybe I should just set the 250xcf for the woods a little better and just it a go.

I just got back into riding seriously a little over 2 years ago and only been on KTM. Just wondering if it the right bike for me or would something else fit be better. 

 

Edited by GreenMT_Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I actually love the power of my 250xcf.  For my skill level and terrain the power is perfect. I just want a 2st to compliment the xcf . I'm just looking at my options. I'm getting mixed reviews from my friends on the ktm air forks plus the jetting . Maybe I should just set the 250xcf for the woods a little better and just it a go.

I just got back into riding seriously a little over 2 years ago and only been on KTM. Just wondering if it the right bike for me or would something else fit be better. 

 

I think what you have is pretty darn good.

For the $6k+/- in what a new 250x would cost you, they are a pretty hard machines to beat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 2012 KTM 250exc (xcw in USA) it was fully setup with revalved forks ,rekluse clutch, jetting all sorted etc.. Great bike but the hours were getting high and some extra cash became available so I took the plunge and bought a new 2016 250x. I like my two strokes and the YZX was great value for money as a new ride.

I am liking the new YZX but its taking some work, the jetting especially seems a lot more finicky than the the orange bikes Ive had. The YZX suspension is light years ahead of the KTM, its really good! Ive only had to set the sag and a couple of clicks up front and its perfect. I dont find that the YZX turns as well though, the front end seems a lot more nervous when entering turns and requires more effort to hold a line. The alloy frame is also a lot more stiff than the steel frame on the KTM, and you do notice it when trail riding.

Power wise the YZX kills the KTM in terms of top end power - its an animal! but its not as smooth down low like the KTM, so in very slippery conditions clutch control is important. On a MX track the YZX is great fun.

I could go on .... there are lots of pros and cons of each bike. Because this is a Yamaha forum you tend to get very Yamaha biased replys - however it would be the exact oposite on KTMTalk for example... Im just saying it as I have found it, others may say different.

Best to try a YZX if you can and see what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a woodsified KTM 250 SX, and two woodsified YZ 125s (03 and 06).

First, just some general comments: 

If you go with the yamaha be prepared to be a little disappointed with certain components.  The clutch basket, like other Japanese bikes, seems to be made of cheese.  It might be a higher quality cheese than what suzuki uses, but it's still cheese.  The brake pedal pivot will quickly wear out unless you clean and grease it frequently.  The lever perches get sloppy real fast, and things like axle blocks are kind of sloppy.  My yamahas have not let me down on the trail, but they do seem to require more work to keep things fresh.

The KTM airbox will spoil you.  I use filterskins on my Yamahas to reduce the need to clean filters.

Yamahas in general seem to run really well with minimal jetting if you do what the manual says (32:1).  I can't bring myself to run 60:1 than my KTM manual says, so it did require jetting to get it to run properly on a reasonable ratio.  

Most people make a big deal of suspension.  All my bikes have been revalved and work great, so that is a wash for me.  

My yamahas feel a bit more nimble on the single track, and I think it's more than just 125 vs 250, as the 250 yamahas I have ridden (a lot of them) feel just like my 125s.

I actually prefer my steel YZ for woods duty, and that, I understand, is a fairly common sentiment among the YZ faithful.  I can't put my finger on anything specific, but the 03 model just feels a little more "right" whipping through the trees.  Rather than buying an X, have you considered picking up an older steel YZ and throwing a few bucks at the suspension?

Overall I think the "X" has a lot of great selling points--especially coming box stock with excellent woods suspension (it's hard for me to imagine getting a bike that would not require suspension work right off the bat!).  At the same time though, I can see the potential for major disappointment if you are giving up the 150 to do this.  I vastly prefer my 125s (not only yamahas, but others I have had) to bigger bikes when it comes to rippin on single track and general woods fun.  They are so much more fun than the big bikes!  Have you considered picking up a used 250 smoker of known woods capability (YZ, 00-01 CR, 03 on RM, 04 on KTM) as a project to see if you really want to go that route.   Older two strokes seem to holding their value really well, so an experiment, even if it involves your favorite suspension tuner, it not likely to cost that much compared to a new bike.

And then there is the other obvious solution---a KTM 200.  Rips like a 125, but has enough torque to bail you out when you make a bad gear selection.  Boy are people holding on to them around here.  Good luck finding one for a reasonable price.

 

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rpt50 said:

And then there is the other obvious solution---a KTM 200.  Rips like a 125, but has enough torque to bail you out when you make a bad gear selection.  Boy are people holding on to them around here.  Good luck finding one for a reasonable price.

It seems like I am seeing a lot of posts recently with people want to try something new. I see a lot of KTM riders pondering other bikes, but that might just be because I hang out at the orange forum a good bit. However, the new blue bike (250X) is sure getting a lot of attention. As well as Beta & Sherco (to a lesser degree).

On switching to another brand, or a different size bike, I think you have to take a lot into consideration:

  • Are you a serious racer? Are you currently (or in the past) having success with a certain brand?
  • Are you a trail rider that's looking for something different?
  • What are your mechanical skills?
  • What dealerships are near you? Do they have a good selection of bikes and/or a good rep for service?
  • What are your limitations (size, height, strength, ability etc....) that would steer you to purchase one type/size over another?
  • Are you a rider that has ridden 4 strokes exclusively and are curious about 2 strokes?
  • How much disposable income do you have?

I see a lot of objective post on this thread. Sure you have your diehards, but for the most part, everyone is pretty honest about the current Yamaha selections. I think the same can be said for KTM riders, however in my opinion, there seems to be more of a "club" mentality about them. They can have glaring problems, and people will still defend them to the death. I never have understood that . . . 

That brings me to the comment that rpt50 posted about the KTM 200. IMHO (in the past 20 years), the KTM 200 has come closest to being the most perfect bike for me. That's not saying it is "the best bike ever" or that it is perfect. However, the engine is rock solid (nearing Honda XR reliability in my book). The chassis if great as well as build quality. Great plastics - ergos - dealer network. But the suspension has always been a sticky point (as well as the concrete seat). It can be made better, but it will always be a KTM suspension. I have spent enough time (and money) that my suspension is as good as it is going to get. The PDS is different, and requires a different way of thinking in order to set it up properly. I agree with rpt50 on the availability of the 200. People are hanging on to them. I know I am! 

My interest in a YZX is simple, the suspension is great and I want something different. I can adjust the the differences, you have to do that anyway. I have the time and mechanical ability to make it what I want it to be. I don't race, so my timeline is different. Plus, at my age (but I have always been this way) I like simplicity. E-start is not an issue with me yet. I kinda have a weird feeling about the Yamaha powervalve system. The KTM is so simple (in my experience). It seems like it take a lot more effort tinkering with the YZ powervalve system (to me reading and studying it).

So..... I guess it comes down to compromise and what you really want. The perfect bike doesn't exist (does it)! Heck, I understand that the YZX is going to be different, way different than my 200EXC. But to me, it seems like a great adventure. Learning how to set it up, make it work for me and having something different to ride. 

Good luck in your decision!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a KTM guy for a long time and still love them but I've also owned several other brands as well and really find that I like what Yamaha brings to the table. So a few months ago I was going through this same challenge and decided to buy an X but kept my 450XC-F for those times and places where I want a change and know the 450 will be better. That said I really do like this 250X, for the money it's a good value. The only complaints I have so far are with regard to jetting and rear shock, both of those are really giving me some challenges but I'll work em out.... 

So far I've done;

RB Design Head mod and carb slide mod (jetting still arrrg)

STIC Metering block (jetting still tricky but definitely more power)

Unibiker Rad braces

Cycra hand guards and skid plate

Edited by Wrfrk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MHO

I've owned a X for 6 months and clocked 50 hours thus far.

No issues.

A new KTM will out handle the X in tight woods.  I find myself slamming the rear wheel into the corners and dragging the rear brakes ALOT to get it to turn.

I'd consider myself well versed in suspension tuning and setup my bikes for my level (local A and B GNCC rider).  I'm sprung properly and like my bikes pretty stiff.  Front suspension for SLOW rocky, rooty, tight east coast riding is a bit harsh even with everything backed off.  I was never able to get the fork to bottom... not even once.  The rear on the other hand works well stock and to be compliant on slow rocky trails, I had to back all the low speed off.  I have since sent my suspension to factory connection and everything is lovely now.  Moral of the story... the bike feels like crap going slow lol.

Its not easy to find a headlight setup for the X due to lack of lighting coils.

On the bright side, parts are cheaper for the yami. :)

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm your weekend warrior rider. I don't ride as fast as I once did. I grew up riding and have ridden a ton of bikes. Everybody has their own idea of how to tune a bike and how it should ride. I want a good handling bike that runs well, has sufficient power to get through technical terrain reliably. I'm satisfied with my YZ250X so far. I hopped on my 2009 Husky  wr250. It has a bunch of mods. The husky has more grunt at the low end but really runs out of speed at the top and so far the Yz250x seems to have a broader range. Softer at the bottom more at the top.(the husky has a gnarly pipe) I don't like the Chassis of the husky nearly as much as the Yamaha. I could probably do some work and get the Yz250x to grunt more but it's riding season. I'm not spending the weekend wrenching. That is exactly why the Husky is going good bye. Although it has a lot of new parts. I think it needs a clutch. My cousin is going to find out in Moab. 

Edited by Charles De Mar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spooge said:

I want all these turncoats, sellouts, deplorables and orange bike lovers off our Yamaha 2 stroke forum, for the love of Pete!

Agreed. And it isn't love an hate orange and blue thing either. I don't need estart, cause my bike starts effortlessly with one kick. I don't care about the MX suspension cause mine is reworked for woods. I have an emergency battery powered Led head light, don't need a traditional one.

I'll tell you what I do care about, thats weight; steel frames are from the 80's, aluminum is superior. I don't want a battery. 

I do like cheap parts that are available in a million different vendors/dealers.

I do like how long this bike has been around for a long time and has a following.

I do like how the bike hasn't changed much so lots of part interchangeability. 

I do like the value for the money, the orange bikes are pricey! 

I do like the jap ergonomics vs euro.

I do like that the bike is fast as F***!

KTM also has more problems on inheriting someones lack of maintenance because the parts are more expensive. (This is a huge issue with with buying any KTM used, basically they buy it new ride it for a few years then sell it before having to do any real maintenance knowing its cheaper to sell it with a mild hit and buy a new bike that doesn't need the maintenance. You buy it thinking its a deal over new then realizing you need over 800 bucks to true it up.)

I ride with all kinds of people and different bikes. I have zero issues with keeping up or leading the pack. If anything, my bike is too fast at times. The only thing that sparks my curiosity in KTM's is the FI 2t. But hell would freeze over before I spend double the cost of my yz to get one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HollywoodMX said:

Agreed. And it isn't love an hate orange and blue thing either. I don't need estart, cause my bike starts effortlessly with one kick. I don't care about the MX suspension cause mine is reworked for woods. I have an emergency battery powered Led head light, don't need a traditional one.

I'll tell you what I do care about, thats weight; steel frames are from the 80's, aluminum is superior. I don't want a battery. 

I do like cheap parts that are available in a million different vendors/dealers.

I do like how long this bike has been around for a long time and has a following.

I do like how the bike hasn't changed much so lots of part interchangeability. 

I do like the value for the money, the orange bikes are pricey! 

I do like the jap ergonomics vs euro.

I do like that the bike is fast as F***!

KTM also has more problems on inheriting someones lack of maintenance because the parts are more expensive. (This is a huge issue with with buying any KTM used, basically they buy it new ride it for a few years then sell it before having to do any real maintenance knowing its cheaper to sell it with a mild hit and buy a new bike that doesn't need the maintenance. You buy it thinking its a deal over new then realizing you need over 800 bucks to true it up.)

I ride with all kinds of people and different bikes. I have zero issues with keeping up or leading the pack. If anything, my bike is too fast at times. The only thing that sparks my curiosity in KTM's is the FI 2t. But hell would freeze over before I spend double the cost of my yz to get one.

Exactly what KTM parts are more expensive?  I have owned at least one KTM for 9 years now, and in that span at least one example of each Japanese brand.  The only case of a noticeable price difference is the Brembo brake parts on a KTM--the prices are shocking should anything break (that rubber bladder in the master cylinder was like $50!).  Otherwise, I never notice any difference.  And think about it--how often do you buy OEM parts for ANY motorcycle these days?  Besides the above mentioned brake diaphragm, I can't think of any actual OEM KTM parts I've needed.  Both my YZs have needed collars and seals for the countershaft recently, and I go through front brake guides like candy, but again, I can't think of any other OEM parts I've needed for my Yamahas (and it's a good thing, because dealers stock NOTHING these days).  

Exactly what kind of parts do you think you would you be buying on a regular basis that would actually make a difference in the ownership costs of different brands of motorcycles?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rpt50 said:

Exactly what KTM parts are more expensive?  I have owned at least one KTM for 9 years now, and in that span at least one example of each Japanese brand.  The only case of a noticeable price difference is the Brembo brake parts on a KTM--the prices are shocking should anything break (that rubber bladder in the master cylinder was like $50!).  Otherwise, I never notice any difference.  And think about it--how often do you buy OEM parts for ANY motorcycle these days?  Besides the above mentioned brake diaphragm, I can't think of any actual OEM KTM parts I've needed.  Both my YZs have needed collars and seals for the countershaft recently, and I go through front brake guides like candy, but again, I can't think of any other OEM parts I've needed for my Yamahas (and it's a good thing, because dealers stock NOTHING these days).  

Exactly what kind of parts do you think you would you be buying on a regular basis that would actually make a difference in the ownership costs of different brands of motorcycles?

 

 

^^^ All true!   Folks don't be so butt hurt, Yami's are good and so are KTM's pick your color and go have some fun!

Edited by Wrfrk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Spooge said:

I want all these turncoats, sellouts, deplorables and orange bike lovers off our Yamaha 2 stroke forum, for the love of Pete!

Sorry for invading you're yamaha 2 stroke forum. Guess I'll just have to stick with KTM since I'm a deplorable orange bike lover. I guess the 3 yamaha's I currently own don't count for anything. :(

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spooge said:

Lighten up a little, it was supposed to be funny. :banana:

So was I.

I think for now the 250x is going to wait for after racing season is over. I'm going run the 200A class this year . Next year I'll do Senior A and run a 250 . Whether Blue or orange I can have some time to figure out what I want. 

I would like to thank everyone for there input. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rpt50 said:

Exactly what KTM parts are more expensive?  I have owned at least one KTM for 9 years now, and in that span at least one example of each Japanese brand.  The only case of a noticeable price difference is the Brembo brake parts on a KTM--the prices are shocking should anything break (that rubber bladder in the master cylinder was like $50!).  Otherwise, I never notice any difference.  And think about it--how often do you buy OEM parts for ANY motorcycle these days?  Besides the above mentioned brake diaphragm, I can't think of any actual OEM KTM parts I've needed.  Both my YZs have needed collars and seals for the countershaft recently, and I go through front brake guides like candy, but again, I can't think of any other OEM parts I've needed for my Yamahas (and it's a good thing, because dealers stock NOTHING these days).  

Exactly what kind of parts do you think you would you be buying on a regular basis that would actually make a difference in the ownership costs of different brands of motorcycles?

 

 

Most consumable parts are basically the same price if you buy them aftermarket, the expensive parts are the things you have to buy from ktm because they aren't available aftermarket.  I had to buy a clutch kit, fill side radiator and valves & seats for my 2012 350sx. Over 200 for a clutch kit, 280 for the fill side radiator, I don't even want to talk about how much the valves were, I'm still sick over it. These prices were with a 15% discount from the shop, none of these items were available aftermarket, at least not at that time. I'm sure there are other things only available from ktm, I sold the bike shortly after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×