Countershaft Wear

2008 xr650l. 5600 miles. 3rd owner. Today we removed the drive sprocket. There were signs of fretting just prior to removal. Orange greasy goop coating the outside of the OEM sprocket. Upon removal of the sprocket I noticed what appeared to be some signs of wear. The top of all the countershaft splines were slightly lower where they had rested underneath the OEM sprocket. My mechanic was not terribly concerned. Nevertheless, we installed the fritzcoinc 15 tooth sprocket. It went on super smooth. No hammering of any sort was needed. Generally, the bike appears to be in quite good shape. That's been my impression right along, and the mechanic agreed. I just wanted to Benchmark this for other folks. I was surprised that the counter shaft had worn at all with what seemed to me to be so few miles.

I wonder if the heat-treat depth/quality on the shaft isn't a bit spotty.

Mine seemed to go from no real wear to quite a bit suddenly, as though once it got through a layer the wear accelerated rapidly.

I have had sprockets wear super quick because of the dirt/mud I was riding in.  I never noticed the CS wear though.  It was a concern of mine way back when because of how loose fitting it is, but after replacing a bent CS I found it be normal on the XRR.