Pipe dent fixing

I do not know if this has been asked or not,and this might be a dumb question but i am new here and will ask it anyway. Does anyone know of places to take a 2 stroke pipe to have the dents fixed. I live in the Tacoma area, so someone close would be cool.

Just picked up a 2004 Ktm 200sx over the weekend. The pipe is the stock one and is a little dented. The dents wont effect the performance, but i would like to have them fixed anyway if its not to much.

5 hours ago, Husa islander said:

why not do it your self. Make a jig a little heat and small amounts of air starting at about 5 psi and increase as need do not get crazy with the air or your pipe will be "NFG" in no time.

You probably have no idea about it!  It takes around 70 psi and acetylene torch to get it yellow hot, if you do it little more it is going to burst in your face!

Use your pressure washer to remove  the dent, no heat required. Using water is way safer than air because it does not compress and turn your pipe into a rocket  It is a pretty easy process.  Search "dent removal pressure washer"  on YouTube. 

11 hours ago, 525rider said:

You probably have no idea about it!  It takes around 70 psi and acetylene torch to get it yellow hot, if you do it little more it is going to burst in your face!

I removed about 95% of my dents with just light air pressure and a propane torch. I discovered that if I pressure up the pipe first before adding heat that the pressure in the pipe increases exponentially and results in a dent in the garage door. However, if I plug the pipe, heat the dent, then lightly apply air pressure that the dent slowly works out. I just need to stand up range of the plugs and keep adding little bits of heat and air until the dents are worked out.

Edit: Here's the setup I used:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/973051-who-does-pipe-dent-repair-in-seattle-area/#comment-10174871

Edited by pscook

Popping the dent is only 1/2 the battle.  Straightening the pipe so the mounts line up and the head pipe engages fully and square to the cylinder is the other 1/2.   Next time you buy a new pipe take some good measurements, draw or even make some kind of a jig.  That's the difference with sending your pipe to somebody like PC, your pipe fits when it comes back.  Gnarlys are harder to fix, big bore pipes more critical to getting everything to line up.  Dry ice is another method to add to this thread.

• Like 1

Two stroke pipes are steel so less concerns as far as the metallurgy goes. Four stroke Titanium header pipes require a number of considerations. Metal cleaning and inert gas both inside out outside the pipe when welding or straightening. I just sent a KTM Titanium header pipe off to Pacific Crest and if anyone is interested I'll let you know how it turned out? It's not two stroke but if they can deal with Titanium...