Desert Freeriding

For my 60th birthday I got myself a Gopro session 5. This is my first ever video.

I've tilted the camera up for the next one, tomorrow.

I'm very disappointed with the quality of the Youtube video, the video that I uploaded to them was clear and crisp. There is much I don't know, like just about everything. I'm looking for advice. I haven't figured out how to embed a video here so here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJmBa6SRafA

Now I'm wondering if it's just the playback on my computer because of inadequate internet speed. Can anybody with a high speed connection tell me if this video looks ok? I filmed it in 1080P MP4 but my laptop wants to play it back at 144P.

PS. I just got off the phone with my internet provider and learned I definitely have a problem there. Can someone tell me if the Youtube video above plays back with good quality?

Edited by motovita
k

I watched it at 1080 and the quality isn't too bad, it seems that there is some weird pixelation occasionally as the camera moves. Perhaps the bit rate was too low when it was output from the editor? 

What technique do you use for uploading and getting the videos off the camera, do you use the gopro software?

4 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

I watched it at 1080 and the quality isn't too bad, it seems that there is some weird pixelation occasionally as the camera moves. Perhaps the bit rate was too low when it was output from the editor? 

What technique do you use for uploading and getting the videos off the camera, do you use the gopro software?

Well that should have looked familiar to you. Your video is part of what inspired me to get a camera.

I did use the Gopro Quik, but due to my ISP issues it took several hours.

I rode the same loop today with a higher camera angle, but it's still too low, I'll try again tomorrow. I have to be back by noon as the temp is near 100F here this week.

I don't use the gopro software, so I am not sure exactly how to use it. There should be some sort of option for the export quality where you can turn the bitrate up. You have 1080 resolution but the video looks a bit over compressed. It definitely not unwatchable or anything just noticeable when viewed at full resolution. Of course turning the bit rate up will make the upload times even worse, so you may have to get your internet upgraded or take very short videos for it to upload in a timely fashion.

glad to see you making some videos, that was a really cool spot to ride!

On 3/20/2017 at 11:27 PM, motovita said:

For my 60th birthday I got myself a Gopro session 5. This is my first ever video.

I've tilted the camera up for the next one, tomorrow.

I'm very disappointed with the quality of the Youtube video, the video that I uploaded to them was clear and crisp. There is much I don't know, like just about everything. I'm looking for advice. I haven't figured out how to embed a video here so here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJmBa6SRafA

I deleted my first video intending to replace it with an updated/improved one, then realized that I couldn't edit my original post. So here's another video.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a great place to ride and good job on the video footage. I think the only issue you are having is like The Alaskan Mad Man suggests, just your editing software. I use a high end software and it has oversampling etc which takes even the poorest quality footage taken in low light and turns out a great video. There are lots of ways to get yourself a better software with out spending a fortune and once you've watched a few self help Youtube videos on how to use them you'll be off to the races.

2 hours ago, lhc450 said:

I wanna go riding with this guyemoji16.png
That looks like a great area to explore.
I'm betting you're in Utah?emoji848.png
Video looks great to me ( IPhone 6S)
I have had good luck with GoPro Studio.

I'm in Utah now, just spent three days riding at Moab. I shot some footage here but I need a faster internet connection before I can upload anything.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 4:23 PM, motovita said:

I'm in Utah now, just spent three days riding at Moab. I shot some footage here but I need a faster internet connection before I can upload anything.

I posted a short one here.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/787908-post-videos-of-hard-technical-trails-here/?do=findComment&comment=13669267

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1