My '17 450excf 6 days wouldn't start this weekend while I was getting it ready to do some maintenance. Pushed start button and heard a click under the seat, tried again and no juice at all, thought it was a blown fuse. All were good, tried to charge it and same issue. Tried another battery and same thing until I noticed a faint spark coming from the ground wire. It was touching metal, moved it and now works fine. I zipped tied rubber hose around it to prevent from happening again. The blue pen in pic is pointing to where it made contact.

IMG_2640.JPG

Thanks for the post.  That's really odd, especially since the ground wire is bolted to the frame just inches from where the short was.  A loose ground could definitely cause the issue you're referring to, and could also cause the spark.  Are you sure the problem wasn't actually a loose bolt holding the ground wire to the frame, that got tightened in the process of you applying the wrap around the wire?  

something was loose, the braided ground strap can crack where it touched the frame  and corrosion can form on the cable.

Sounds like the frame side connection is not as good as it should be. I would remove the bolt and clean all the surfaces real well before reinstalling. Check the crimp at the end also. Electricity follows the path of least resistance.

• Like 1