Worn reeds symptoms?

I'm not sure what the symptoms are for worn reeds.  I've heard more difficult starting but does it also make a LEAN condition? No bottom end power but top end OK? Does it differ with different bikes/makes or usually the same symptoms?

Reeds 'wear' before you can see the wear. They fatigue, and no longer close tightly. By the time the wear is visible (chips) it's way beyond worn out.

You should be changing stock reeds about every 30+ hours, and aftermarket reeds every 50+ hours. If you are fast, cut that time in half.

1 minute ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Reeds 'wear' before you can see the wear. They fatigue, and no longer close tightly. By the time the wear is visible (chips) it's way beyond worn out.

You should be changing stock reeds about every 30+ hours, and aftermarket reeds every 50+ hours. If you are fast, cut that time in half.

Thank you. I'm full aware of how they wear what should happen with a replacement schedule.  What I'm asking is "what seat of the pants" effect worn reeds have....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

Thank you. I'm full aware of how they wear what should happen with a replacement schedule.  What I'm asking is "what seat of the pants" effect worn reeds have....

Always the symptom is less power, and much less throttle response

• Like 1

I run them until they begin to fray on my 250.  Bike still runs great.  Might be a little harder to start when they lose tension and hang open a little but other than that its not really a problem.

I don't think I ever had to replace them on my 125's.  Seems counter intuitive but then again maybe not.

In extreme cases (I run them past the time you shouldn't probably) as in when they are missing pieces,  you can sure get a rich symptom to them.   The fuel air mix gets pulled by the slide of the carburetor,  then blown back,  then pulled back etc.  Kind of like too much overlap can do at lower speeds with a piston port engine.   That can get them pretty rich.  

My hours on them vary by the type.  I have some boyesen duals that must be older than some of the guys I have hired with on the cr500 for instance.  some carbon techs that go a couple of seasons on a yz125.   

Edited by ossagp
  • Like 1