Jump to content

KLX140G vs TTR230?

Recommended Posts

Since I will just be trail riding, a MX bike doesn't make sense for me right now, plus I'd love to teach my wife to ride and a trail bike would be easier and less intimidating.  I am debating between a TTR230 and a KLX140G.  I'm a Kawasaki fan, so I'm leaning toward the KLX140G overall.  My only concern is that I'm a bigger guy (6'0", 275) and I wouldn't want to feel like the bike can't pull me.  I don't think that would be the case, but it certainly gives me pause and makes me consider the TTR230 a little more.  I also don't like that the KLX140G doesn't have a kick start as a backup to the electric start as I may be riding back in the national forest quite a bit.

What do you guys think?  Would the KLX140G be enough power to pull me around the woods at moderate speeds?

Brandon

Edited by OrangePeeled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OrangePeeled said:

Since I will just be trail riding, a MX bike doesn't make sense for me right now, plus I'd love to teach my wife to ride and a trail bike would be easier and less intimidating.  I am debating between a TTR230 and a KLX140G.  I'm a Kawasaki fan, so I'm leaning toward the KLX140G overall.  My only concern is that I'm a bigger guy (6'0", 275) and I wouldn't want to feel like the bike can't pull me.  I don't think that would be the case, but it certainly gives me pause and makes me consider the TTR230 a little more.  I also don't like that the KLX140G doesn't have a kick start as a backup to the electric start as I may be riding back in the national forest quite a bit.

What do you guys think?  Would the KLX140G be enough power to pull me around the woods at moderate speeds?

Brandon

I've never ridden a klx140g before but I'm curious why you're a kawi fan? Do they pay you or give you free stuff? I don't understand the brand loyalty thing. The 230 sounds like a pretty good fit. Again, haven't been on a 140g so no comparison but the 230 seems appropriate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a klx140l and a ttr230. We had the klx140 first for the wife. I was thinking of the G model for myself but ended up buying the ttr230. 2 biggest advantages for the ttr230 is power and suspension. I'm 200lbs and the 140 is just to weak on power and way under suspended.  I still resprung the forks on the ttr. Honestly if 200lbs plus skip both bikes. The only reason I have the ttr230 is to ride with the wife so I don't need to take one of my race bikes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SenorThumpy said:

I've never ridden a klx140g before but I'm curious why you're a kawi fan? Do they pay you or give you free stuff? I don't understand the brand loyalty thing. The 230 sounds like a pretty good fit. Again, haven't been on a 140g so no comparison but the 230 seems appropriate. 

Thanks for the reply.  I already have a 76 KT250 and it has to do with my grandfather, who introduced me to Kawasaki.  He passed away about 2 years ago.  It's more sentimental than anything.  I'm not THAT stuck on it, though.  I love the fact the Kawasaki has disk brakes all around and is lighter, but the no kick starter and larger motor of the Yamaha definitely make me lean that way.  I'm having a hard time finding some objective numbers to compare that two, though, such as horsepower and torque of each.  Weird how manufacturers seem to guard that info for some reason.

I think I need to find a KLX140G to ride and see how it compares to the TTR230.  That will be the only way to know for sure.  The good other good thing about the TTR230 is that it's been out a lot longer than the 140G, which was new last year obviously.  Many more on the used market.

 

1 minute ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

We have a klx140l and a ttr230. We had the klx140 first for the wife. I was thinking of the G model for myself but ended up buying the ttr230. 2 biggest advantages for the ttr230 is power and suspension. I'm 200lbs and the 140 is just to weak on power and way under suspended.  I still resprung the forks on the ttr. Honestly if 200lbs plus skip both bikes. The only reason I have the ttr230 is to ride with the wife so I don't need to take one of my race bikes. 

 

Thanks for the reply.  So you would think the TTR230 may be underpowered also for my size?  Anything in particular that you'd recommend?

Brandon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of the bikes have been rejetted and airbox opened up. The ttr230 feels like it has 50% more power. I did an acceleration test with both bikes going up a hill on a paved road. With the GPS the klx made it to 37mph the ttr230 52 mph. The ttr230 also is less cramped. 

Personally I would look for a xr250r, wr250f or a crf250x. You will be much happier in the long run. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome.  Thank you guys for the replies.  I'm seeing a few WR250Fs in my area that look pretty appealing and are priced well.  I'll keep digging for other models that may fit the bill, too.  The KLX is out.  That's too weak.  I think the TTR230 is still a possibility, but I think I may aim for a WR250F.  

Brandon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OrangePeeled said:

Thanks for the reply.  I already have a 76 KT250 and it has to do with my grandfather, who introduced me to Kawasaki.  He passed away about 2 years ago.  It's more sentimental than anything.  I'm not THAT stuck on it, though.  I love the fact the Kawasaki has disk brakes all around and is lighter, but the no kick starter and larger motor of the Yamaha definitely make me lean that way.  I'm having a hard time finding some objective numbers to compare that two, though, such as horsepower and torque of each.  Weird how manufacturers seem to guard that info for some reason.

I think I need to find a KLX140G to ride and see how it compares to the TTR230.  That will be the only way to know for sure.  The good other good thing about the TTR230 is that it's been out a lot longer than the 140G, which was new last year obviously.  Many more on the used market.

Ok, i get that. Just don't let feelings sway you too much. Being able to ride both is def the best way to determine which is right for you. No kick start isn't really a big deal IMO. None of my stuff aside from the ancient xt250 has a kicker and I've never had an issue. Drum brakes are just fine. They're fast to adjust and they work just as good as disc brakes for casual riding. Both bikes are going to be on the low end of power. Neither are high strung or snappy. They're similar types of motors so the 230 is going to lug you around better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't think Kawasaki has anything that really fits the bill for me right now, which is unfortunate but it is what it is.  I'm really liking the Yamaha WR250F, though.  That would be perfect for the riding I'm wanting to do, which is a combination of gravel roads and trail riding.  It's also fairly priced used.

One of the reasons I'd like to have a kicker as backup is because I can potentially be very deep in the national forests on this bike, and plan to be, so I'd feel better having it there but I think you're right, it's probably a much bigger fear in my head than issue in reality.

Brandon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely recommend the WR250f. It may be a little intimidating at first but they are super easy to ride and at your size you really need to stick with a full size bike. The plus side of the WR is that it has really good suspension that may be overkill but will be there when you need it. Also they come pretty choked up stock so the power wont be overwhelming and as you progress you can do some cheap or free mods to uncork it for more power as needed. Another added bonus is that since it a Yamaha it will be bullet proof, just do regular oil changes (every 8-10 hours) and you will never have to worry about it leaving you stranded. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, tmeyer37.  It seems to be perfect for what I need.  I like the headlight, too, for longer than expected trips in the woods. :)  I'm comfortable on a bike, but I've only ridden my trials bike.  I've had it since I was 14, but never ridden it too hard.  My mom (yes, my mom... lol) also had a TT230 for a short time until we believed it to be stolen and she gave it back to the guy... haha!  This will be a very different experience.  I'm amazed at how many used WR250fs there are for only around $2k.  I also keep reading about how good the motors are, which is great because I'm also looking for low maintenance.  

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!  It is greatly appreciated!

Brandon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the yamaha 5 valve headed rigs for reliability.   There is another bike you may like if you are thinking of the sentimental side;  that is a KLX300.   kind of hard to find,  but a nice and willing engine/transmission.   I have a friend who still likes his better than a 2014 wr450,  and he is about as large as you.   The 450 is better on the sand and river beds,  but he gets back on the 300 for the single track.   but the wr250 is more for you than the 230 I would think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply!  Maybe I can pickup a KLX300 a little later. :)  I'll keep an eye out for them now, though.  Not completely sure when I'll be purchasing.

Brandon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×