MotoFab KX300X build

Nice, I am glad I am not the only numb skull that thinks you can make a modern 300cc machine out of 20 year old technology that is suitable for single track, NH&H, and other.  And do it for a fraction of the cost of new bike.....

What has changed on dirt bikes the past 20 years?  Electric start?  meh, my leg still works.  

• Like 1

Especially on a 2 stroke. 4 strokes got EFI which is a big improvement. We'll see what KTM's TPI injection does next year...

I am sure TPI will be great, after a few years of teething.  

The counter balanced 2Ts might be notable improvement.  

Yeah the 17 new motor is supposed to be amazing. 

They ran the TPI in Roof of Africa and one other hard enduro. But it is only coming over to the US in the 250 XC, not the 300. 

it will be interesting to see what the weight is, and price tag. Either way richer than I can afford.

I could take my 02 KX250 and drop $3000 in it and have a bike that performs just as well. I would be less than half the cost of the new TPI KTM I'm sure

I agree.  The way I see it I would be spending about $4k for e-start and some orange anodizing.  The suspension will still need to be redone for me.  I am skeptical about air forks.  

I used to think suspension had some major developments over the years, but according to what I feel and the suspension gurus I have talked to, not so much.   

Yeah the 17 new motor is supposed to be amazing. 
They ran the TPI in Roof of Africa and one other hard enduro. But it is only coming over to the US in the 250 XC, not the 300. 
it will be interesting to see what the weight is, and price tag. Either way richer than I can afford.
I could take my 02 KX250 and drop $3000 in it and have a bike that performs just as well. I would be less than half the cost of the new TPI KTM I'm sure

250 xcw not xc
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

250 xcw not xc emoji4.png

I knew I would get that wrong. Couldn't remember which one it was and was to lazy to look it up.

Either way I am surprised they aren't giving us the 300. From what I see if around my area I would say 75%+ of the KTM XCW crowd are on 300's. It would seem if you are only going to offer 1, then the 300 seems a better fit.

or maybe they don't want to mess with the 300 because they no it will sell. Those looking for the newest hotest item will give up the 300 for a TPI 250.

TPI?  I thought that was a GM product from the 1980s; tuned port injection?

From KTM's website:

"As of model year 2017, all KTM 2-stroke models are fitted with new MIKUNI TMX carburetors. These 38mm flat slide carbs provide smooth and controllable power all the way up to the limiter. And they’re less sensitive to altitudes and temperatures changes, so you can pin it wherever, whenever."

The 4T are using the throttle body FI for 17.  

Just checked, 2018 is the year of change.  TPI=transfer port injection.  So assume it is injected upwards from the case in to the cyclinder port(s)?

Edited by crypto666

2 hours ago, freeriders98 said:

I could take my 02 KX250 and drop $3000 in it and have a bike that performs just as well. 

No. You can't. You just can't. It's 16 years newer with injection.

16 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

No. You can't. You just can't. It's 16 years newer with injection.

I could get it VERY close. And the limiting factor will always be me as a rider, not the limits of the bike.

On a 4 stroke I would agree that injection makes a huge difference. We'll see how it does on the 2 stroke. Look at Yamaha...their YZ hasn't changed and is still just as capable. And their YZ250X beat out the KTM 250XC in the shoot outs.

• Like 1

I don't know why injection has taken so long with 2t.  Haven't they been using it for years in watercraft and snow machines?

Speaking of it being up to the rider, I watched my 13 year old nephew smoke a bunch of grown men (and a couple women) at a MRAN GP this past weekend.  His 105sx got the hole shot and lead on bikes with double the displacement or more, fuel injection, electric start, and whatever suspension gimmicks they may be sporting.  It was neat.  I can't keep up with him either.  

Yeah sleds and jetskis have been using it for a long time. I think weight would have to be part of the delay. And places tp put the needed equipment.

But lets get back on topic!!! Thats a sweet AF KX300 their building!!

You will see no difference in the injection vs carbed performance wise.  They have said that they are trying to make it feel as close to a carbed model as possible.  The quote from KTM's PR guy was that if he didn't look at the engines, and just went and fired one up and rode it, he would't be able to tell the difference.  So, other than no need for a rejet, and a new separate oil reservoir, you won't notice a bit of difference.

My wife built her 300 a few years ago out of a 04 250

images (2).jpg

12063461_10207600302266381_9198993244459444700_n.jpg

• Like 3