4 stroke detonation

I have a 2006 TTR 230 that seems to have detonation when you lug it around or under a load til it starts accelerating.Is this common or is there a cure?

Edited by jhanley

I run super unleaded in it all the time. It doesn't make any noise when it's idleing so it doesn't sound like it needs the valves adjusted.I live at high altitude,5300 ft.

Some of the ones that knock the most for me are my air cooled ones.  It is kind of "how bad is bad" question.  If it goes away with a simple downshift I wouldn't be too concerned.  Did it get rejetted for the altitude you are at?   Someone may have gone too far to lean it out is what I am thinking.

It hasn't been touched.It quits when I downshift so I assume that's normal.It's not running lean.I checked the plug.

Edited by jhanley

Yeah, you can get about any of them to knock if they are lugged I have found.  I had an xr600 that slow going then roll on hard where it would pull good on slick rocks would really get it ringing.   Richening it up to where it wouldn't do that made it a pig though.